Platinum Supporter
May 16, 2011
TX (~30 miles south of Dallas)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I've heard people say that you should "run conduit" under your decking to all the places you might like lighting or electrical access in the future. What exactly does this mean? Are you actually running wire from the pad/controller to these future spots, or just the tubing underground that will accept the wire down the road?

We are trying to scale back some of our costs, but I don't want to make things too difficult in the future if we want to go back and add stuff, so I want to be prepared.

Thanks!

No. Their called "sleeves". It's typically 3" PVC drainage pipe that you bury under walkways so as to not create "islands" of landscaping that are inaccessible to low voltage lighting or irrigation lines. Think of it as an underground tunnel to run services through. Your decking sub should take care of it but he will want/need your input on placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I put a lot of this sort of thing under my deck.
A little different to the approach Matt indicated.
We used his method to allow for future things that may want to traverse our Driveway and footpaths.
The approach we took for the Pool deck and captured planter beds was different.
We planned for the possibility of:
Irrigation
Low Voltage Lighting
Speakers
115V receptacles

In our case, these would not all come from the equipment pad.
So we ran multiple 3/4" conduits from and to the various locations and ran poly line thru them. (<-- Important)
We also ran extra 3/4" conduits under the deck across the back of our house. These were 'just in case' conduits.

When you put in these 'future use' conduits make sure you run a string line thru them.
This is easily done with a vacuum cleaner at one end and a small piece of rage tied to the string line at the other.
Trying to do this later can be difficult because over the months/years some dirt may end up in the conduits and then trying the vacuum approach will fail.

I'm going to disagree with Matt a bit. What he says is best practice for irrigation and low voltage lines. However if you are planing an outdoor kitchen or outdoor lighting and have a fairly specific plan as to where it is going and how it will be controlled you should seriously consider pre placing conduit for that future work. Since the trenches are in this is relatively cheap and can make things easier later.

I have conduit for a portable spa in place that allows me to place the spa anywhere in my yard

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was only referring to low voltage electric and irrigation. High voltage AC and gas should always be properly buried according to building code and stubbed out as needed for future use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Good question, Jamie! I had the same question. So, once these conduits are placed and decking is poured, how do you access them in the future? Do you just have them stubbed so you have access points sticking out??? I'm trying to picture how this is all accomplished and make sure we make provision for ease of access for future plans.

Good question, Jamie! I had the same question. So, once these conduits are placed and decking is poured, how do you access them in the future? Do you just have them stubbed so you have access points sticking out??? I'm trying to picture how this is all accomplished and make sure we make provision for ease of access for future plans.

Typically the ends are taped off with red tape and they stick out a little on either side of the poured concrete. Mine are buried under a little bit of fill sand and decorative rocking. So in order to access them, you have to dig down a little.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you, everyone. This is all very helpful. It sounds like planning ahead is the key, and then taking pictures as backup to remembering where you put everything is necessary too. Looks like we have some thinking to do!

I supplemented my photos with some triangulation off two corners of the house.
Means when you come back to this nice piece of lawn in the future you can take two tape measures and find your spot exactly.
I find photos only give me a general location to dig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.