Breaking Ground Today! - Orlando

Hi all, I have mostly been lurking since my wife and I bought our home in July. We have painstakingly been going through design, budgeting and permitting for our pool over the last 4+ months, but, I picked up the permit yesterday and we are getting started today!

Here are some specifications

SWG
Stonescapes tahoe blue finish
Paver decking
Travertine coping
screen enclosure to keep the florida bugs at bay
133k BTU heat pump (see notes below)
Insulated Aluminum roof for extra covered space
Jandy Equipment (2HP/2Speed pump) with iAqualink automation

Smith%20Pool%20Plan%209-2-15_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Smith%20%20Bella%20Pools%209-10-15%203D%20K.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IS9xnlt5ubb8b70000000000.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We are doing a quasi owner-build with a consultant.

Heat pump note - We decided to go with the heat pump, knowing that it could be an issue with the spa on cold days (though with FL weather, we don't have too many extreme cold temps). The reason is that our house faces south. So, the pool is on the north side of a 2 story home, will get shaded by the house and new aluminum roof, plus screen enclosure shading, so, I anticipate needing to heat the main pool and felt like going with propane (no NG available) would have been cost prohibitive for the pool. I can always add propane later if we just can't deal with the heat pump. Solar wouldn't work well for us based on the orientation of the house.

So, there it is... They are removing the existing concrete slab on the back of the house today. If all goes well, layout tomorrow, and hopefully starting dig by Monday. I will try to take pictures and keep up to date with the progress. I am sure I'll have questions as we go, it has been very helpful following some of the builds on here, so, hopefully I have a great head start!

This looks great and very similar to mine! I'm excited for you and will enjoy seeing your progress! We are at the permitting stage. I'm hoping we are digging the beginning of January. Welcome to TFP!

Hello to another Florida person!

Good start! Thanks for the pics!

Now YOUR work starts--------go out with a measuring tape and make sure it is the correct size. Is there any where you would like to go bigger, smaller, different? NOW is the time to make the change.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have a hole! The guys were there bright and early this morning to get the steel going. We did have a small cave-in on one side that they have to dig out, but, if the rain holds off today, they should finish steel and I can call in the inspection for tomorrow.

Oh, and Kim... I didn't have a chance to measure the layout as I was sick all weekend, but, got out there yesterday and measured everything looks like they are on-point. I will need to see the bubbler locations with the steel in, that is the only concern at this point, but, shouldn't be too difficult to shorten those up after steel if necessary. I am guessing that they are good to go anyway, just looks a little funny right now. Aside from that, the yard is a disaster and I am going to get to test my irrigation skills once all of this is complete. I don't have the guts to turn my irrigation meter back on to see if the main was part of the carnage, that will be an exciting moment when I get there.

You can see the cave in on the second photo, lower left corner :(

IMG_20151214_151614_01.jpg

IMG_20151214_175817.jpg

They probably deal with cave-ins all the time and will have it all fixed, rebarred, and gunited in no time (easy for me to say-not my dig. Pease remind me of these things in January when it's my turn! Lol!)

They probably deal with cave-ins all the time and will have it all fixed, rebarred, and gunited in no time (easy for me to say-not my dig. Pease remind me of these things in January when it's my turn! Lol!)

Haha, yeah, I am not too worried about it, they said it is probably a couple hours of digging to get it fixed up. The big issue is that it is probably going to rain a bit here in the next few days. I am hoping to get through everything and get some gunite before we have any major issue.

I have a camera set up in a window upstairs and it looks like they have moved on from the digging now. Just need the rain to hold off.

I am sorry to hear you were so sick :( I hope you have your strength back. If it is anything like what is going around up here you felt like cooked spaghetti!

Good job on the measuring when you were up to it.

The cave in is something they deal with all of the time. IF they are smart they will push to get the steel and gunite done FAST!

Keep an eye on the steel........Add about 3 inches to the steel to know the depth,length, height, ect of your finished pool Look at the curves, size, shape of your benches, ledge, steps, etc. BEFORE the gunite is when to have it fixed.

We have one build where they kept brushing him off and his pool has many things wrong :(

Kim

Pool dig is looking good. They'll have that cave in and any others,taken care of. Keep us posted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.