Closed pool almost empty!!!

Hi everyone. My pool has been leaking all season @ 1-2" in a day. When we were open we had diver/ and pressure test done. Other than some minor cracks to surface nothin else had been detected. We managed figuring that come the spring we needed to resurface. We closed the pool in early October. I have just checked today. And the shallow end has no water and there is only 40" left in the deep end. Our winters in NJ have been pretty brutal and last year I lost about 2ft water which initiated our whole escapade of detecting the leaks.. Clearly we need to remodel this thing. BUT how do I get through the winter without this thing popping??

Help!!!
Thanks!!!

Add water ASAP. I'd inspect the plumbing for leaks if there is any elevation difference between the pool surface and the equipment.

Isn't the water table water going to leak in just as much as the pool water leaks out and therefore balance the upward pressure on the shell out? Essentially it's like a hydrostatic valve opening without the hyrdrostatic valve installed - so its just a hole.

To put it another way, the water is only going to leak out to the level of the leak. At that point the water will leak in if the water table is higher that that. If the water levels are equal doesn't that negate the risk of popping?

Don't take my word for it, I'm just throwing the thought out that crossed my mind.

The concern would seem to be if water is pumped out, thus lowering the pool water level below the water table level enough to counteract the weight of the shell.

I'm guessing water exiting a pool can be pretty clean and exit without effort but water flowing in a reverse direction from underneath the shell could carry crack plugging particulate. In that sense, cracks can act as check valves.

Thanks you for replying. I'm not too sure what to do with the information provided on the last two threads (Bmoreswim & Gtmkin) Yes I risk for poping with no water in the pool. And trust me nothing is being emptied by ways of human effort. The pool does sit on a slight hill to one side. To JohnT- To what end though for adding water. There's going to be a point in the winter when I can't add water.. And there is no indication that it's going anywhere either I.e. Wet ground. The lines were tested in July and nothing was wrong at that point in time but I was still leaking. I've been told the equipment is at the right elevation. But am unclear what that would mean or entail.

Adding note here about the hydrostatic valve.. The very first diver we had come out.. ( yes there have been more than one..) said the hydrostatic valve was painted over.. Is this a problem in this instance?

Last edited:
Since your pool is nearly empty, give the pool another visual inspection. Minor surface cracks wouldn't drop the water level 1-2" per day. If you have a main drain try plugging it and see if the leak stops.

Hi Zea3. My main drain has been plugged for years. And I had it checked and resealed in July. the company I have used for repairs etc are not available in the off season. How would I go about plugging this myself. I'd have to dive in the freezing water? Texas is much warmer than out north east... I'm not safely equipped to do this on my own. No??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.