Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice on balancing chemicals after draining and refilling

1. Back To Top    #1

Cape Carteret, NC

Advice on balancing chemicals after draining and refilling

I just went through the painful process of draining my pool Through the help of the kind folks here, I was advised that I had too much CYA in your pool last Summer. I had to keep my chlorine above 10ppm all Summer (expensive).

We have a ton of iron on our water here, so my pool water started out dark brown on Sunday. Now, it is getting to be a light green and I am starting to see the bottom.

Here are my current stats (using TF-100 kit):

FC 0
    CC 0
    TC 0
    pH 7.2
    T/A 260
    CH 220
    CYA < 20

I have already put about 5-6 gallons of liquid bleach since Sunday - about two gallons a day. However after 24 hours, I am back down to a zero reading. Is this normal. Any advice on what to put in next besides chlorine and how much?

Grecian 16'6"x32'6"x8' inground with vinyl liner
    Gallons ~21,000
    22 Hayward sand filter
    1 HP Hayward pump
    Ultra Pure Ozonator
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Advice on balancing chemicals after draining and refilling

Yes, that is normal. It is because you have too little CYA. When CYA is very low, you lose all of your FC to sunlight each day.

You should raise your CYA level to somewhere between 30 and 50.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School