Question about pool depth for a new build

Jun 26, 2014
Peoria, AZ
Hello all!

My family is finally going to commit to building a pool, but I'm having problems deciding on the depth, specifically what depth for a diving pool or to just go the play pool route.

I would love to have a diving pool similar to the one I had as a kid, but our backyard can only accommodate at most a 36' length pool reasonably, which limits the depth to about 8'6 - 9' deep and a small shallow end. This falls in line with the minimum diving depth regulations, but I'm worried because my husband is very tall at 6'6.

Would his tall height be problematic for the diving depth, making it unsafe? Is height even a concern with regards to diving??

If it is problematic, I will just go for a play pool instead.

Thanks for any help!

beyond maintain minimum safe depths I think almost any replies you get are going to be opinion. That being said my opinion is, if an adult is going to jump in it is usually a means of entry into the pool then they head over to the shallow end to hang out or do laps if exercising. Kids are usually the ones that repeatedly dive in get out and do it again and again and again. Kids being much smaller you can get away with less depth and be OK, most people especially adults spend most of their time in the shallow end. We built our pool with a shallow end almost twice the size across as the deep for this very reason. You would be hard presses to find any kid that complained about a pool not being deep enough if it has water and they are allowed in it that is all that is required.

My recommendation for a diving pool with your scenario is to go 4' - 9'. Our pool is a diving pool and 3 - 8.5' over 36.5' (the pool length is 38' but there is a bench at the shallow end). I am 5'7" and can stand for 1/2 the length of our pool. 3' is too shallow, 3.5' may be just right but 4' is certainly still reasonable and get you the safest diving pool within your parameters.

So from what little research I could find on the subject, it seems Tall divers are more at risk for the lateral distance in their dive. Since they can cover more distance, they're at higher risk of hitting the shallow-to-deep slope, and need to be very careful in shorter pools.

Perhaps I can still go with my deep diving pool, but forgo the diving board and only allow side dives in the deep end.

Or maybe a diving rock or raised bond beam. Or take the risk. Many do and few are injured. But the risk is there.

All swimmers new to my pool are given house rules; first time returners are given a quick reminder.

Diving shallow for tall people and out and away for young people are among those rules. Others are: no glass; no peeing; look for swimmers before jumping, sliding, or diving; walk, don't run, on the deck.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, yea. AND NO PEEING!

- - - Updated - - -

No pee allowed.

Don't know if it is true or not but I have heard that raised wall or diving rock (don't call it that when you call you insurance company) are cheaper insurance wise because it is not a diving board it is just a decorative feature. So when they ask do you have a slide or diving board you say "why no we don't" ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ours wasn't about money with the insurance. It was about coverage. Our primary policy was fine with it (so long as it had a non-slip surface) but our umbrella policy (same company) said no dice. So we replaced all of our insurance with Peyton's company which was fine with it and cheaper to boot.

What a super sparkly pool. Said to a certain jingle.

Few residential pools meet ANSI standards. My pool is 8 and 1/2 but too narrow and rises too soon. I have a rock. There is no rock in the plans but I was there when they built the waterfall and for some reason we ended up with a diving rock with steps.

I would warn you that a shallow pool seems to get warm faster in the hot weather than one with deeper areas, sometimes to the point of being unpleasantly "swampy" feeling, IMO. Since you live in Arizona, that might be something to take in to consideration. Some folks use "pool cooler" equipment ($$), others use low-tech fountains to cool the pool.

I think you can get a bit of deep end in a pool that's 36' long. I wish my pool were deeper than 6'. I miss diving :( Kids hang out in the entire pool on rafts, or in tubes or on noodles...so no worries there for me. I've also read people say a too shallow play pool is hard to swim laps in as knuckles can hit bottom in the shallow end.

Just some things to think about :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.