Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How does FC stay this high?

1. Back To Top    #1

How does FC stay this high?

FC is staying high with SWG set at 5%. See #'s below.

PH 7.5
    FC 9
    CC .5
    CH 375
    TA 80
    CYA 90
    Temp 58-60

Running pump 8 hrs/day

Why does FC stay this high at 5%?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    32 x 15 15500 gal. IG gunite, 6 ft. round attached spa, diamond brite 2 plaster, flagstone coping w/concrete spray deck, IntelliChlor IC-40 SWG, 2 hp Max-E-Pro pump, 450 sq.ft. System 3 cartridge filter, 400k Max-E-Therm NG heater, automation is IntelliTouch i7+3, Polaris 280 pressure side cleaner,
    TS 100, Borax

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How does FC stay this high?

As the sun gets lower and lower in the sky, less UV is making it to the pool and chlorine usage is drastically reduced. Basically everything that consumes chlorine is not making its way into the water during this time of year.

I would cut the run time down to 2 hours for your pump and adjust the SWG as needed.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

In all likelihood your SWG is probably not running due to cold water. So in effect, your 5% is probably closer to 0%.

You should not have to run your pump 8 hrs/day. Cut it down by half. If your water clarity and cleanliness is still good, you can cut it down further. Also, run your pump in the later part of the day when the water is warmer. No need to run it overnight or on the early mornings when it's cold.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

My FC had not dropped even .5 PPM in the last 2 weeks (pool only gets a couple of hours of sun at the moment and only part of the pool at that) Water temp around 49F. Was getting worried about my testing till this weekend when my wife was doing some gardening and got some dirt in the water, dropped the FC by 1.5 PPM in 24hrs. She told me she was helping, making sure my testing was accurate.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all the good input. I think I will cut run time at first to 4 hrs and check clarity after that then further if needed. Lots of leaves dropping this time of year so that may be a problem with reduced filter time. I will keep Polaris running 2 hours/daily and see how it all shakes out.

Again, thanks!
    32 x 15 15500 gal. IG gunite, 6 ft. round attached spa, diamond brite 2 plaster, flagstone coping w/concrete spray deck, IntelliChlor IC-40 SWG, 2 hp Max-E-Pro pump, 450 sq.ft. System 3 cartridge filter, 400k Max-E-Therm NG heater, automation is IntelliTouch i7+3, Polaris 280 pressure side cleaner,
    TS 100, Borax

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bware View Post
    Thanks for all the good input. I think I will cut run time at first to 4 hrs and check clarity after that then further if needed. Lots of leaves dropping this time of year so that may be a problem with reduced filter time. I will keep Polaris running 2 hours/daily and see how it all shakes out.

Again, thanks!
    Think about getting a robot for your next cleaner, no need to run the pool to keep it clean.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

I thought about that this past summer. Which one do you recommend?
    TS 100, Borax

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds like it's time for a new thread in the pool Cleaner Forum!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!