Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what happens if my inground liner over fills due to rain?

1. Back To Top    #1

what happens if my inground liner over fills due to rain?

We're getting monsoon rains and I already drained 3" of water saturday.

Woke up this morning and the water level was 1" away from touching the T-track.

Would water get behind/under the liner and cause me major trouble if somehow the rain over filled my pool?

I do have french drains all around the decking so I'm not worried about that, just the worry that water would
    penetrate UNDER the liner and float it making an awful tough mess to deal with.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what happens if my inground liner over fills due to rain?

Yes, it could cause problems. Keep draining it out as needed. Perhaps if you're expecting a lot, drain a bit lower than normal to buy you some time.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

I definitely will.

There was no way in you know what I was going to leave it at that level with more rain coming
    before heading to work. Took ten minutes to drain it down to near "skimmer sucking air" level.

4. Back To Top    #4

The water that comes from the pool overfilling won't hurt anything. It will only be the exact amount of water that would fall on the surface area of the pool if it was dirt, so there really isn't as much as you think.

If you are going to have heavy rain and a lot of groundwater, having the pool fill to the coping or above is the best scenario since having higher water pressure outside the liner than inside is what causes problems.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Careful here.
    A few years ago we had so much rain that i was concerned about overflowing and was siphoning water our.
    The ground became so saturated from the rain that it pushed the liner out.
    Pool guy says I would have been better off keeping water level very high in the pool to prevent this water pushing from behind the liner !
    29,000 gallon vinyl IG, Hayward 1.5hp Pump, DE Filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm not worried about the ground level of water, just having it go above the T track getting behind the liner.

The pool is a concrete shell surrounded by a french drain (tons of gravel) and plus my entire house lot is about 8 feet above most
    of the homes in my neighborhood.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    I'm not worried about the ground level of water, just having it go above the T track getting behind the liner.

The pool is a concrete shell surrounded by a french drain (tons of gravel) and plus my entire house lot is about 8 feet above most
    of the homes in my neighborhood.
    It won't hurt anything. Ground water is behind the liner already, so all of the rain that falls outside the pool is going there anyway. The tiny amount coming from the pool won't make any difference.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by lindaspoolboy View Post
    Careful here.
    A few years ago we had so much rain that i was concerned about overflowing and was siphoning water our.
    The ground became so saturated from the rain that it pushed the liner out.
    Pool guy says I would have been better off keeping water level very high in the pool to prevent this water pushing from behind the liner !
    Now that you explain this I can see it.
    I've always been under the impression one should avoid extra water behind the liner, but as others have corrected- the ground water is going to be high enough with all the rain the OP expects.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain