Austin build; plaster finish question

Jun 26, 2014
Austin, TX
Backstory:
Pool is done, PB was a good builder that seems to have a quality first attitude. Bottom line we had some plaster issues with clinkers on the first poor. Which resulted in white poke-a-dots on the bottom of the pool. Got through all those conversations which resulted in a full rip out and a re-plaster. No clinkers of discernible size this time. However, had a brief shower during the troweling stage. Resulting in a blotchy finish on the bottom of the pool. Plaster company has already sent a diver in with acid.. It got a little better but not much. Pool builder is willing to keep working on it, but next step is to drain and work with acid again. Pool builder advice is to wait six month or so to allow the plaster to age and allow the chemicals/brush work to "improve" the blotchiness.

Questions:
1. Will six months of aging help the finish at all?
2. Before I give the PB final payment, I would like something in writing spelling out that the plaster has install issues and the the PB will continue to address at some point in 6 to 12 months. PB want me to propose the agreement. Thoughts on this?

Proposed Agrement
PB agrees the current state of the plaster finish is an install issue, related in full or part to rain during install, or other install techniques. PB agrees to to address plaster finish issues at the request of the homeowner with on year of final payment. Finish issues include but ar not limited to color unevenness, blotchiness, clinkers, streaking, splotchiness, color leaking et al.

PB agrees to respond to the homeowner's request within 10 business days with a plan to remedy the finish issues. PB agrees to attempt the remedy the finish issues using all known resources and techniques. Including but not limited to acid wash, sanding, brushing, et al. Draining the pool for access is an acceptable requirement for remedy.

One of my concerns is that I don't want this treated as a warranty finish issue, but rather an on going install issues. Right or wrong, I feel that discourages the PB from trying to use warranty terms to not fully address the finish.

Appreciate any thoughts on this. At the end of the day we love the pool, materials, and our larger experience with the PB. Just frustrated with the plaster.

Alec

Just my $0.02, I would not make final payment until all issues have been resolved to your satisfaction. Once you pay them, you do not have any leverage. How do you enforce the written agreements? Money is a great motivator.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.