$140,000 Quote for an amazing pool- Is this reasonable?

AJB1234

Gold Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Newport Beach, CA
Please help me with this quote for a pool in Southern California. Is this reasonable for what I am getting? Any other thoughts are greatly welcomed!

Standard pool includes: plans, permits, standard engineering, standard excavation, 2” up to 3” schedule 40 plumbing, minimum 3 return lines with directional aim flow fittings, double safety main drain in pool & spa, separate suction line for pool sweep, steel reinforcing, gunite with 12” bond beam, 3 steps in shallow end, 6” water line tile and trim tile, 2 coats white marbilite plaster, pool light with GFI protection, pool start up and maintenance kit.

Pool Size - 14’ x 31' / Depth - 3.5’ – 5.5' $33,500.00
Pool Filter - Hayward cartridge filter Included in base price
Pool Pump - Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed Included in base price
White Plaster Included in base price

Auto fill and Overflow $1,250.00
Pool Heater - Hayward heater 400,000 BTU $2,350.00
Electrical with Aqua Logic P4 time clock, and pool light (up to 175') $1,800.00
(1) Extra Pool Light $1,200.00
Upgrade pool/spa lights to colored LED $2,250.00
(2) 320 color LED lights in Loungeseat $650.00
Gas line from meter to Equipment set (up to 100') $1,100.00
Aqua Rite Salt system or Ozone $1,800.00
The Pool Cleaner by Poolvergnuegen $495.00
Grading: for deck/pool $750.00
Reef Shelf @ spa $1,200.00
Upgrade plaster to quartz or pebble (Quartz is polished, for polished pebble, add $2100) $4,000.00
Aqua Connect PS8 Computer Control System $4,200.00
Loungeseat area in deep end $1,800.00
Raised bond beam @ 18" high $7,800.00
Plumbing, grate, pump, gravel for overflow effect on pool $41,000.00
Tile Face on Bond Beam exterior (material budget $8.00 per square foot)$5,460.00
Crane to install spa (estimated) $3,800.00
Infinity Edge Spa raised 12” above pool $12,000.00
Pool And Spa Total: $128,405.00

POOL MASONRY
24" Raised deck "wood" tile on concrete base with retaining wall $8,200.00
Drains: 450' of 4" drains to tie into existing $4,500.00
Steps - to match deck material $720.00
Pool Masonry Total: $13,420.00

TOTAL POOL & MASONRY: $141,825.00

Thank you for any help you can provide as this seems like a lot of money based on other pools I have seen online. We really wish to use the builder that provided the quote. Thanks.

For some reason I don't think this would be the bid out in West Covina.

You need to get another bid (two would be better). It won't be exactly the same but it will be close and you can have some bargaining power.

Poll pricing varies a great deal across the US and even within the LA Orange market. Amy of the items that are extras in your bid would be in the base pool in Sacramento.

But what the heck is "Plumbing, grate, pump, gravel for overflow effect on pool $41,000.00" ???

Are we installing a fiberglass spa inside the gunite pool?

From the picture it looks like the entire pool is a vanishing edged pool. With that said, the pool is on the tiny side of in ground pools. And it seems like you are paying a premium for living in the Newport Beach zip code. Not to mention, you should have a walk up bar kitchen with custom pergola and fire pits for that much money.

I had my pool build in San Dimas two years ago with a lot of the same finishes, automation, etc.... And I was only in it for $65 - $70k

Thank you for your help. I think you are correct in that I should get another bid. Plumbing, grate, pump, gravel, etc for $41k is for the overflow affect. The raised bond beam will have a slight overfill of water creating a waterfall effect. The water needs to go into a drain that will be covered with mexican stones. The spa is acrylic but I included the cost of the spa as if it was not and just standard. The acrylic adds about a $30k cost to the the spa and I am told there is about $1800 in profit for the pool builder. Thoughts?

You need to get another bid (two would be better). It won't be exactly the same but it will be close and you can have some bargaining power.

:goodpost: +1 ^^^^^^^^^^

No one here could possibly say for sure. Your only way to know for sure is to get multiple bids. That's a heck of a lot of money for such a small sized pool.

Yes the entire pool has a vanishing edge with water overflow. It's definitely a small pool because we have a small yard but are OK with this. Would you be willing share pictures of your pool? That's a huge difference in cost. Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
More bids for sure! NEVER go with only one! We have one active build that got several bids and they all had different ideas and designs AND costs! We all picked one design and it was something none of us had even really thought of! She also has a small area to build in.

Kim

Yes the entire pool has a vanishing edge with water overflow. It's definitely a small pool because we have a small yard but are OK with this. Would you be willing share pictures of your pool? That's a huge difference in cost. Thank you!

So basically that vanishing edge is going to be a majority of the cost in hour build. You can't really get away from the costs if that is the feature you want. We asked about a vanishing edge when we first started with quotes and we were told it would be about $1100 per linear foot. That pretty much stopped our inquiry for that kind of feature in its tracks.

Every market is different, however in looking at a number of these sorts of message threads over the years I can say that it is somewhat common to see 50-100% price spread between bids for very similar pools when the perspective owner takes the time to get multiple bids.

Also having said this, is this the right style pool for you, a 14x31 pool with a 3.5 - 5.5 ft depth profile puts it well in the realm of a social pool design, a bit short and shallow for swimming laps (people with longer arms would scrape their knuckles on the bottom while swimming in the shallow end), too shallow to dive into even from the side, mostly good for floating around, relaxing, etc.

View attachment 44139 I don't understand your question about why I would put an acrylic spa inside a gunite pool. I added some pictures of the pool that we are basing our design off of. Does this help answer your question? Thanks again for helping me... very much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Do the pictures help with understanding this? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

So is that less expensive than building one into the pool?
Do the newer pictures help with answering your question? Thanks!

Wow with the picture I see what is going on. Not sure that $41,000 of wow.

I would see if you can get a couple more bids but am concerned that the number of builders who can actually do that (and have done it) is rather limited. Without competive bids you can never be sure where the price is in the market.

Wow with the picture I see what is going on. Not sure that $41,000 of wow.

I would see if you can get a couple more bids but am concerned that the number of builders who can actually do that (and have done it) is rather limited. Without competive bids you can never be sure where the price is in the market.

Yes, we are almost definitely going to go with the same builder that did the pool in the pictures... I just wanted to make sure the pricing was reasonable. I didn't mention the acrylic part initially because I know few builders have experience with this so I took out the extra $30k for the acrylic spa (spa would be $12k without acrylic). Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.