Ahlam from Abu Dhabi

Hi all

I just joined this forum and am happy to be a member. For hours I was browsing this site and found it so helpful. I am at the beginning stage of building new swimming pool. I am confused what system to use to avoid the harmful chemicals. Is it SWG, Ozone, Oxygen base system.......etc. I would be grateful if you could help me to find the right one. As one of my grandsons has Asthma, the chlorine can makes it worse . Many thanks

Ahlam

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
As one of my grandsons has Asthma, the chlorine can makes it worse .
chlorine often gets blamed for things in which it plays no part. A properly chlorinated pool is the best form of sanitation we can suggest. Continue to read articles here and you will find chlorine is used in millions of pools. The other methods simply do not work as well.

HI! You have come to right place to have a safe pool for your grandson!

I am guessing it is the fumes from straight chlorine that gives him trouble with his asthma. Like Dave said a PROPERLY chlorinated pool is the BEST and safest pool.

You will find the methods used here at TFP are science based. It does not get much better than that!

SWG-here is a link to help explain how it works.

Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

The other two parts of the system you mentioned are not necessary nor do they really work so........save yourself some money.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kim

I'll try and be more specific than the the prior answers.

Are we talking about a normal residential pool that is outdoors and gets used by 3 to 4 people for an hour or so a day?

Assuming the above is correct then a chlorine based sanitation system is almost certainly the best.

Salt water pools are chlorine based systems. They are generally very easy to maintain and if properly maintained have low levels of chlorine and related byproducts.

Ozone and uv systems are generally not good systems because they are only part of a complete sanitation system. In the case of ozone it generally only assists in burning off bather waste. It does not sanitize. Large heavy use public pool with a great deal of bather waste to burn off -- ozone is a important part of the system. Indoor residential pool -- again ozone is an important part of the system. Outdoor residential pool? Ozone will not have that much effect.

There are still other systems. But all systems have trade offs. We generally find chlorine systems work best. If following the TFP recommendations the chemical effects are close to nonexistent. Using a salt system to provide chlorine is probably the least labor intensive method and if properly set up and run has low chlorine exposure.

As others have said, chlorine is the safest and best way to go. That being said, many public pools use either far too much or far too little which often causes the problems people assume are coming from the chlorine itself.
A salt water pool turns the salt into chlorine, at a steady level so it can work far better at lower levels than a pool that gets heavily doused in chlorine purposely so that its high level today but it will trend down by the time they can return to dose it again.

Salt water generators are also the easiest as you set it, test the water and if all is good you don't have to add chemicals by hand daily. The testing is the important aspect!
People who have problems forget to do routine testing and can get comfortably complacent and forget that a pool still requires monitoring of more than just that FC level. Yet once you learn how to manage your pool its a snap!

Hi all

How happy I am to join you guys. I am very thankful to everyone. Your opinions and advices made things very clear to me. I made up my mind to use the SWG. But a fibreglass pools contractor told me that the SWG will not work with concrete pools and it will corrode the components and equipments of the pool. Is that true. My pool is a concrete.

Love you guys
Ahlam

Concrete and plaster are about the same thing. Many people on here have plaster pools AND SWG. They do NOT have any problems IF they follow the proper procedures and keep their pool balanced.

NO worries! I would encourage you to look in this part of TFP and read about all of the pools that use SWG without any problems.

Under Construction

Keep asking questions and learning! We love to help!

Kim

You've been given great advice thus far. Welcome to TFP!