Solid/Granular CYA

Apr 7, 2015
Katy, TX
TFP states that you add solid/granular CYA by placing it in a sock and leaving it in the skimmer. Does anyone know what would happen if we didn't use the sock and just dumped the solid/granular CYA into the skimmer? I was just curious.

Very rarely it could clog the pipe, but not likely. The issue is you never know when it is completely dissolved and it will take longer since the flow rate is slower in the filter. Plus if you clean the filter too soon you will lose some of the CYA.

Thank you. I forgot one more question. What happens if you leave the CYA in the sock with the pump not running? I programmed my pool to run 24/7 after I added the CYA but for some reason, I found the pump off when I got home from work. Is this bad?

CYA is acidic. A lump of granular CYA sitting in the skimmer, or in a pipe, or in the bottom of the filter, can easily take the water around it down to a pH of ~4.5. That's not catastrophic, but it's not good either. The sock method ensures that the CYA dissolves to a fine enough extent that the particulates of CYA will tend to stay suspended in solution as it slowly dissolves and disperses. The best place to put a sock full of CYA is not in the skimmer but in front of a pool return (usually hung there by some kludge of PVC or sticks) as having a large volume of fresh pool water around it allows it to dissolve quicker. Sitting inside a skimmer is a less optimal choice of locale (although I have done it to be totally honest). You can even float the sock in a blue chlorine puck floater if you happen to have one.

Easiest thing to do is to cut up a pair of old nylons and use that as the sock to hold the CYA. Works great.

I added some last week and just poured it into the skimmer sock in my skimmer basket. The mesh on the skimmer sock is even finer than a regular sock. The CYA had dissolved in under an hour.

That reminds me, time to test again.....

Thank you. I forgot one more question. What happens if you leave the CYA in the sock with the pump not running? I programmed my pool to run 24/7 after I added the CYA but for some reason, I found the pump off when I got home from work. Is this bad?

That is not bad as it was going into a large amount of water. The pump running will help it dissolve faster. I go so far as squeezing the sock until it is all gone. I like to get it over with!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.