Charles from NC

Dec 3, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I have about a 20k gallon inground pool with a salt cell and sand filter. I am trying find a way to heat my pool in the most efficient way possible. I get about 6.5 good hours of direct sun during the summer and just need to raise the temp about 8-12 degrees. We love spending the summers in our backyard oasis just need a few more weeks of it a year. I look forward to being a member of this community.

Welcome aboard, Charles! :wave:

One of the most effective ways to keep your pool warmer is to use a solar cover when the pool is not in use, especially overnight as most heat loss from the pool occurs at night. I wouldn't even think about heating a pool unless you're covering it every night... unless you want a HUGE heating bill. Solar covers are a bit of a misnomer as they actually provide most of their heat gain by retaining heat that is normally lost to evaporation at night. There are debates about what color/clarity of cover is best for gaining and retaining heat but I'll leave that for you to search out here on the site, if you choose.

Welcome to TFP!

After the solar cover the next best thing is solar panels and a solar controller. If you have a handy south or SW facing roof. We have a lot of shade and the solar panels give us many additional days of swimming. Heating back up from rain, cool fronts, wind, etc. We are very happy with our solar setup. Pics on build thread in sig.

Speaking of a sig, you need one. :) More on that here, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post