Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool light amp draw ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hilton Head, SC

Pool light amp draw ?

Our pool light is on a dedicated 15amp breaker. Is there a way to find out how many amps it draws, and what gauge of wire it might have going from the breaker to the light?

ed marshall
    4k, IG, Gunnite, Jandy Valve, 1HP Haywood, 2" flow, single 2" line for skimming & vacuum, Pentair FNSP 36 DE w/125 GPM Multiport 50 PSI, TF-100 Test Kit, built 1991, Hilton Head, SC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool light amp draw ?

15 amp circuits typically use 14 gauge wire in household service.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

Sacramento, CA

Re: Pool light amp draw ?

A GFCI breaker I hope.

Anyway, Do you know the make and model of your pool light? Otherwise we would have to remove it. Do you just want a general range. Is it LED or incandescent?

Most pool lights have a cord attached with a wire bundle inside. The cord runs through conduit from the light niche to a junction box. Then regular wire runs through conduit from the junction box to the breaker in the subpanel. The junction box looks like a small electrical box raised about a foot off the ground near your pool or near the pad. Because you have a 15 amp breaker the smallest wire size allowed is 14 guage for the run from the sub panel to the junction box. Depending on the length of the run 12 guage may be required. With wire sizes, smaller numbers mean larger wire diameter.

To determine the wire size on the circuit either eyeball it or use a wire gauge. If I have doubts I use my wire strippers as a gauge.

Now for the obvious question -- why are you asking? If you want to add to that circuit that is not a good idea. If you want to add its better to add another circuit to the subpanel and let the light circuit stand by itself. Do you have pool automation? Don't exceed 6 breakers in the subpanel without consulting an electrician.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall