Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How hard to add SWG later?

1. Back To Top    #1

How hard to add SWG later?

I have been interested in having a SWG for our new pool, but we're already over budget so I'm thinking of just going with Rainbow Chlorinator, but switching over to liquid chlorine added manually. I'm wondering how hard it would be to add a SWG later if it becomes too much of a hassle to add chlorine every day. Has anyone had any experience in adding a SWG after the pool was built?

Thanks,
    Mike
    2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How hard to add SWG later?

As long as you leave an appropriate section of pipe and have a power source available, it should be simple to add it later.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

You probably want to make sure your pool controller that the PB plans on using also supports controlling a SWG.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

4. Back To Top    #4

Check that the type of Jandy automation panel you're getting is compatible with the SWG you want. I know in the Pentair world, it's much much easier to add an SWG cell if the EasyTouch panel is already configured with the proper power modules. Otherwise you have to add the power supplies separately.

Other than that, if you have a good 24-36" straight run on PVC AFTER the heater and filter, adding the cell can be as simple as cutting in and gluing two PVC unions.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, those are good points!
    2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

You also want to be sure you have a chemical check valve up flow of the salt cell and before the heater.
    40x15 IG, 19,000 gallons, Taylor K-2006C, Intellichlor IC40, Pentiar 1.5 hp Intelliflo VS, Pentair 420 Clean/Clear Filter, Speedstir, Stonescape - french grey, Travertine Paver decking, Completed August 1, 2015.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

If you are using a lot of natural stone in your build, you may not want to go with a SWG. Although I love my salt pool, it can be hard on natural stone, particularly in dryer climates like yours.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit