Ozonator Question

peachy

Feb 19, 2012
Hi guys. Would like to revive this thread after so many years.

I purchased the PZ2-4V last year and just managed to hook it up this week. One thing I'm concern about is the lack of any ozone smell when I have my nose right up against the bottom nozzles. I'm expecting a very strong ozone smell considering its spec'd for commercial use and I know how O3 smells like. The glow is there when it's powered on (via a timer and on 220v).

The other concern I have is the lack of bubbles appearing when my variable speed pump is set on low speed (less electric bill). The bubbles only starts to appear at speed 3, which defeats the idea of buying a VS pump.

Help please.

Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 10.59.40 P.jpg

What is the source gas that feeds the ozonator? If it's just ambient air, then the unit is hardly commercial grade. A true commercial grade ozone generator needs to be fed relatively pure O2 gas. Atmospheric gas is 78% N2 and 21% O2 and 1% trace gases. It's very hard to generate substantial amounts of O3 with low O2 partial pressure as other side reaction will happen (NOx formation). As well, any humidity in the feed gas will also reduce O3 production efficiency. True commercial O3 units pair the corona discharge cell with an O2 generator for feed gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

First you need to understand that we generally don't recommend ozonators in residential pools. What that means is there is not a great depth of knowledge here on trouble shooting.

I suspect your ozonator is working correctly but with lower pump speeds the ozone bubbles dissolve prior to exiting the returns for you to observe. But I don't know.

Have you gone thru all the troubleshooting in the manual? Look at page 6.

Can we get a picture of your installation and the entire equipment pad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.