Seasonal changes and water chemistries

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

This is our first winter w the pool. We live in W. Houston and the water is currently 59.

When the water gets cooler [and of course the pool is not used any - we do not heat it, but we do the Spa maybe 2-3 times per mo] it seems we are using less liquid CL and other. Is there anything we need to pay particular attn. to during winter here? I know for you guys up N, you'd be swimming in 59, but it's pretty chilly.

Finally, I seem to have a good solid Calcium line Spa...is there anything I can do to reduce the CA content? Our plaster is still curing since poured in late Jan 2015, so I'm stuck here for another 2-3 months, correct?

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all,
tstex

pH = 7.5
FC = 9-10

took these this morning

Hello to all,

Is there anything we need to pay particular attn. to during winter here? I know for you guys up N, you'd be swimming in 59, but it's pretty chilly.

indeed as it gets colder less chlorine is used. My pool holds it fairly steady from Dec-Early March. With little if any chemical additions.
I did have a weird thing happen over last winter where the TA went from 90 to 180 but that was a different pool/house.

In the summer I test chlorine every 2 days, unless there is swimmers then every day. (I know my pools needs well now)

In the fall I test chlorine once a week.

In the winter I test chlorine once a month.

It is a bit more frigid up here but I don't swim in my pool unless the water temp is a minimum of 78 degrees lol

A couple of quick thoughts -

Totally normal to have FC demand drop off once the water gets cold and here's a couple of reasons why -

1. Lower water temps mean nothing (algae and, to some extent, bacteria) grows;
  2. Sunlight exposure (angle of sun in sky) is a lot lower so less FC loss due to UV;
  3. Cold water means slower chlorine reactions (reaction rates for Cl roughly double every 13F) so less extinction of chlorine;
  4. No bather load so organic contamination is very low;

If I raise my pool to 10ppm FC when the water is below 60F, it can go weeks without needing another dose of chlorine.

As for calcium scale, question - is it hard calcium deposits or a soap-scum like ring?

Please post a full set of spa water test results (everything including CH) both before going in and after. What chemicals do you add to the spa prior to heating and going in? What temperature is it run at?

Thanks to all...

Matt - it is a hard calcium deposits. The spa spills over into pool, so all the chemistries are exactly the same, but I'll run some new numbers tonight and post back.

Do not add anything to the spa prior to heating and going in...the spa max temp is 100-101, then the heater goes into auto mode - not in any longer than 30-45 min max...usually after getting out of spa, will turn on in pool mode and recirculate spa water into pool to even the temps in spa and pool.

If you have any other ques's, pls let me know - thanks

I was specifically interested in your pH, TA and CH just prior to starting up the spa. The intense aeration plus the high temperature rise can cause the pH to spike during your use. Depending on the TA and CH, you can easily get the spa water's CSI into the positive scaling range.

Typically when I run my spa, I add enough acid to drop the TA to 50ppm and the pH to 7.4. This can take some conditioning (multiple acid/aeration cycles) to achieve. I also have 50ppm borates and I typically don't add any FC prior to a soak. In fact, if my pool FC is high enough, I will actually dechlorinate the spa water a little with hydrogen peroxide. I don't like soaking in high FC as the heat + aeration + CCs bother my nose. I typically add FC at the end to get to shock level, run the spa little longer, then dump into the pool.

Post numbers and we'll see where your at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thanks Matt - will do...appreciate the follow-up....

BTW, my brother left 5am CST last Sat morning for Chandler AZ, and I will tracking him...I noted when he got to Tucson, he was on his last leg before he hit Phoenix. Made it in 12 hrs, or 1167 miles - that's a lot of driving and a hot spa would be nice upon arrival.

Chandler is very nice but it's still inside the greater Phoenix area. Phoenix is too crowded for my taste and I much prefer the (slightly) cooler climate down here in Tucson. Plus our mountains are more beautiful :p

Glad to hear he made it safe. My parents moved to Tucson last year to retire and spend their golden years with the grandkids. They drove from Long Island, NY to Tucson, AZ (taking the southern route) and did it in 5 days...now that's some serious speed. I joked that they were fleeing NY so quickly just to make sure they could escape the tax man ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I would concurr w your parents & drive as fast & far as I had to go to escape the taxman.

Not been to Tuscon, but what are your hottest summer avg like temps? I'm w you anything that is cooler than 115 degrees for sure...seems like the right temp to confine, however, the taxman :)

Hottest and driest season here is in May/June. Temps can get up to 115F but don't typically stay there. Definitely over 100F, spikes up to 115F, daily averages ~105F. Very dry as the RH can get as low as 20%. Once July hits, we get our summer "monsoons" which can cause a 100F hot afternoon to plummet to 70F in a matter of 20mins or so when the downpour hits. Kind of neat to watch the dashboard thermometer plummet 30deg while driving.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.