Can Capacitor Be Replaced on a Century Centurion?

TRT77

Jun 7, 2015
Mansfield, TX
My pump just hums, but wont turn over. I removed the cover, flipped the "ON" switch and the shaft will not turn. Its not seized up, as I can turn if freely. It just wont turn over. So I was thinking the capacitor is bad. However, I can find the capacitor on this pump motor. Its a Century Centurion B2854. Is this a permanent capacitor and is there anyway to fix the issue without shelling out $200 for a new one?

thanks,

You should be able to replace the start capacitor for this pump. Is there a hump on the back of the motor? If so your start capacitor is in there. Before removing a start capacitor cut off power to the pump and touch the two terminals on the capacitor with the blade of a screwdriver to discharge the capacitor to prevent electrical shock while working on the pump. Remove the strap holding the capacitor in place and replace it with the same or uprated capacitor.

It's the bump on top of the motor. You remove the two screws that hold the cover on. Then you pry out the capacitor and disconnect the wires.

It's a run capacitor. The rating should be in the 25 to 50 uf (microfarad) range. Make sure that the specs match. Make sure that the diameter is the same as well.

The best and safest way to discharge a capacitor is to use a cheap test light (from auto supply store) instead of a screwdriver across the terminals. Turn off power to the motor and before disconnecting anything, connect the clip of test light to ground (the green screw where the power connections are). Place the probe end on each end of the capacitor until the light goes completely out. This will discharge the stored energy slowly (there is a resistor in the test light) instead of instantly (like with a screwdriver) which can cause sparks and potentially severe burns. If the capacitor is in need of replacement then you will probably have very little stored energy if any, but better to be safe just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best and safest way to discharge a capacitor is to use a cheap test light (from auto supply store) instead of a screwdriver across the terminals.

good idea.

A friend of mine works in electronics and laughed when I showed him some online instructions that said to short with a screw driver and
be sure to wear goggles in case the capacitor blows (which it can)

his advice was to short with resistor.

Same concept. The light bulb in the test light is essentially a resistor. It also helps just to have a visual indicator of current. You just want to avoid a short circuit. Unless you are talking about the movie Short Circuit then that's okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note that, most of the time, a run capacitor will discharge through the windings when the pump is off. Therefore, it should almost never be charged. However, it can happen, so it's better to be safe and discharge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, I removed the capacitor, before reading the latest replies. I did it with the screw driver and there was no charge remaining in the capacitor. Its a 30uf. I found one on amazon for $8 and the label matches almost exactly except for a part number and brand (CSC vs. TEMco), which I assume is specific to the seller.

Both are 30uf +6% 370AC/B
50/60Hz
1000 AFC
SH P2 Capacitor
C22 2 NO. 190

I have no idea what all that means, but it looks pretty close to the one I'm replacing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.