South Alabama
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I am having to replace my booster pump motor and now the main pump motor! The booster pump motor started whining about a month ago, so I ordered a new one. While waiting on it to come in, my main motor went out!! My question is the new motor is the same specifications as the old motor EXCEPT the amps. My old motor is 8.5/1.5. The new one is 19.6/10.4-9.8 it says max load where the old one says amps. Is this okay to replace?

This is the one I purchased from Amazon (the one that died was an A O Smith Century also).

A.O. Smith ST1152 1-1/2 HP, 19.6/10.4-9.8 Amps, 1.5 Service Factor, 56J Frame, Capacitor Start/Capacitor Run, ODP Enclosure, C-Face Pool Motor
1-1/2 HP
3450 RPM
115/208-230 volts

The new motor is a single speed, not a two speed.

When replacing a motor, you need to match the total horsepower. The total HP is the label HP x the service factor (S.F). Any combination of Label HP x S.F that matches will work. For example, if you have a motor with a label HP of 1.5 and a SF of 1.47, then the total HP is 2.2.

You also have to match the frame (Fr). For example, 56J or 48Y

You also have to make sure that the motor will operate on the voltage of your supply wiring. Most two speed pumps are 230 volts.

This is so confusing for a novice! My old pump is 1.5/.19 HP and SF 1.23, so the horsepower needs to be at least 1.845? And the old motor FR is Y56Y....so that has to match too? I'd like to get another 2-speed pump. How do I know for sure it is? I thought that's what the 2 different volts told me!

Any ideas on a good, inexpensive pump? This is my old one!

image.jpg

Your old motor is a two speed motor. The tag indicates 3450/1725 rpm. Hence, two speed. Your old motor is also rated to operate on 208-230V/1 phase power supply.

You purchased a single speed motor from Amazon. In order to get the same exact motor, you will need to search for the part # listed on the motor tag. If it were me, I would return the new motor to Amazon and see about getting the same exact motor that you removed. That way it will all bolt up and wire up exactly as it came apart.

I've had that too when researching motors...older part #'s that seem non existent.

The best you can do is find the latest equivalant.

Match up these to a modern offering and you should be good:

2-speed & voltage

Frame Type

Horse power and SF (service factor)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.