DIY gunite?

tikki

Apr 21, 2009
Anyone done this? LOL. I'm not in a big city with lots of equipment and options available to me. Is there anything besides gunite that tile can go over for an all tile pool? Anything that can be done with regular or otherwise other mix of concrete? (we don't have a local pool company that does gunite) We afre not afraid to tackle bigger projects, providing we can get the right equipment.

Thanks!

Tikki :)

Thanks, Jason. How would the rebar compare between concrete and gunite? Anything special to the prepare or add to the concrete, and then how thick would it go, do you know??

Tikki,

Rebar is rebar...it is just reinforcing the concrete/gunite. The spacing and size of the rebar is specified by a licenced structural engineer who takes into account things like soil condition, proximity of structures and size/depth of pool.

You can see pictures of my rebar prior to gunite by clicking on the link in my signature. If you look closely, the spacing of the rebar changes in different locations around the pool.

Kevin

cobra46 said:
Tikki,

Rebar is rebar...it is just reinforcing the concrete/gunite. The spacing and size of the rebar is specified by a licenced structural engineer who takes into account things like soil condition, proximity of structures and size/depth of pool.

You can see pictures of my rebar prior to gunite by clicking on the link in my signature. If you look closely, the spacing of the rebar changes in different locations around the pool.

Kevin

Right. *nods* But, concrete is not the same as gunite (nor shotcrete) and we would want to be sure that structurally it's going to be sound. Has anyone used the fiberglass infused concrete?

Why is it that gunite/shotcrete is used for this application (pools) in general instead of concrete? Is it cost? Is it composition? Is is because of the plaster or other sprayed/rolled on finishing coat? We see fancy fountains all over the place that look like they are just regular concrete with tile over it, so it makes me wonder.

Thanks for the pics, too!

Gunite is popular because it is very easy to form into complex shapes. Free form pools are all the rage these days. It would be a nightmare making a free form pool using forms.

The strength of the final concrete has far more to do with the exact mix of ingredients used, than with the application method. Any competent structural engineer will be able to specify all the required details for a standard pour using forms just as easily as for a gunite or shotcrete pool.

JasonLion said:
Gunite is popular because it is very easy to form into complex shapes. Free form pools are all the rage these days. It would be a nightmare making a free form pool using forms.

The strength of the final concrete has far more to do with the exact mix of ingredients used, than with the application method. Any competent structural engineer will be able to specify all the required details for a standard pour using forms just as easily as for a gunite or shotcrete pool.

Ahhh, that's what I thought. :) We aren't looking for form- we figure if you are digging the hole, you might as well fill it as much as you can. :) Then I guess we can pass this one on to the engineers and not worry about the rest of it. Thanks SO much!

Shotcrete/gunnite is typically a fairly dry concrete mix shot out of a jet -- the lower the water/cement ratio (don't get me started with people calling concrete 'cement') typically the stronger the concrete and less shrinkage. So in a sense concrete is always used -- but shotcrete is usually 4000-5000 psi while concrete is more typically 3000 psi (though you can order 5000 psi if you'e like).

As was mentioned, shotcrete/gunnite is used because it is rather stiff (low slump) and can be spraked on vertical walls without falling.

You cannot do shotcrete/gunnite yourself. As mentioned a formed concrete or CMU blocks can be used.

Steve, S.E.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.