Intelliflo 3050: Pump Problem

marthas_ear

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2009
Texas (Central)
Red continuous flashing alarm LED and Green run light flashes about 1 sec on and off and trips the main circuit breaker about 10 secs.
Any ideas what to do to fix this?
Just started having the problem. Lots of rain this fall (record breaking) and filter worked hard with leaves.

Looks like we need to replace this 6 yr old pump.
Gonna go with SuperFlo Pentair pump. We don't really need variable speed come to find out.
Any opinions on Pentair vs Haywood? We are happy with Pentair though we expected a little longer than 6 yrs.

Both companies make great products. I am partial to Pentair. You may be able to replace the control panel and fix it. The control panel can be susceptible to power surges. Use of a surge protector is recommended on VS pumps.

What is the best way to install a surge protector for a VS pump
1. A breaker for the breaker box that has surge protection.
2. A surge protector that fits in the pump timer box .
I have a VS pump to install and want to protect it, we have a Lot of electrical storms out here.

Thank you! Good news and bad news. Good news is after Ron removed the cover (need specialized tool) and reseated all the connections, it has operated flawlessly! He's an electrical technician kinda guy)
The bad news now is that there is an obvious leak and there is air in jets...noisy.
I just read it might be leak at light? We were just bemoaning the lousy design where the water lines ended up UNDER the concrete decking.
Um...who let that one slip? Warning to those in design phase....don't put decking over your lines. We would now have to just put in new lines through grass to fix it. We are going to observe how much water loss is visible.
Ron thinks the leak could be in that line to the pump...between skimmer and pump.
I will suggest to look at the lights, too.
May just have to sit for winter. We don't close or cover it in Central Texas...just use Trichlor instead of the chlorine generator til it gets warm again.

Generally suction and return lines don"t leak. Its fittings on the ends that leak. So concrete over pool suction and return lines is a perfectly acceptable practice. I many ways better than in a lawn or garden area because damage from other digging is a much more likely occurrence than a mid run leak. I'm not sure i understand how a leak at the light could cause air in the jets. Do you have a spa? Or do you mean air in returns?

I assume you mean air in the returns. Air anywhere usually means air pre pump, on the suction side. Which often means at the skimmer or on the pump housing like the debris basket. Is it sealed? Pour water over the debris basket while the pump is running does that stop the air? Is the pump priming ok?

Generally suction and return lines don"t leak. Its fittings on the ends that leak. So concrete over pool suction and return lines is a perfectly acceptable practice. I many ways better than in a lawn or garden area because damage from other digging is a much more likely occurrence than a mid run leak. I'm not sure i understand how a leak at the light could cause air in the jets. Do you have a spa? Or do you mean air in returns?

I assume you mean air in the returns. Air anywhere usually means air pre pump, on the suction side. Which often means at the skimmer or on the pump housing like the debris basket. Is it sealed? Pour water over the debris basket while the pump is running does that stop the air? Is the pump priming ok?

Good suggestions. Will take a look at debris basket and skimmer...we have had lots of rain and debris.
Yes, to the return lines. (nevermind about what I said about light ;-) Suction line is good.
No spa. I meant we have diagnosed we are getting air in return lines.

There might be a leaf or twig under the pump basket o-ring. That would introduce air into your return lines. Happened to me a week or so ago.

Most folks install a whole house surge protector in their breaker panel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.