Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intelliflo 3050: Pump Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Intelliflo 3050: Pump Problem

Red continuous flashing alarm LED and Green run light flashes about 1 sec on and off and trips the main circuit breaker about 10 secs.
    Any ideas what to do to fix this?
    Just started having the problem. Lots of rain this fall (record breaking) and filter worked hard with leaves.
    Regards,
    Martha in Texas
    17K gl-15'X34' IG, Fiberglass, Pentair: Intelliflo VS 3HP pump, PAL 2000 underwater lights, DE60 filter, Intellichlor IC 20SWG, Poolvergnuegen Suction Pool Cleaner2009 build date; TC100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intelliflo 3050: Pump Problem

Looks like we need to replace this 6 yr old pump.
    Gonna go with SuperFlo Pentair pump. We don't really need variable speed come to find out.
    Any opinions on Pentair vs Haywood? We are happy with Pentair though we expected a little longer than 6 yrs.
    Regards,
    Martha in Texas
    17K gl-15'X34' IG, Fiberglass, Pentair: Intelliflo VS 3HP pump, PAL 2000 underwater lights, DE60 filter, Intellichlor IC 20SWG, Poolvergnuegen Suction Pool Cleaner2009 build date; TC100

3. Back To Top    #3

Both companies make great products. I am partial to Pentair. You may be able to replace the control panel and fix it. The control panel can be susceptible to power surges. Use of a surge protector is recommended on VS pumps.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

What is the best way to install a surge protector for a VS pump
    1. A breaker for the breaker box that has surge protection.
    2. A surge protector that fits in the pump timer box .
    I have a VS pump to install and want to protect it, we have a Lot of electrical storms out here.
    Sean Hannon
    30,000 Gallons gunite pool Coated by Fibertech
    Hayward Pro Grid 72 / Hayward multiport
    Circupool V3 VS pump
    CirCupool SWG RJ 60, 400.000 btu raypak , Built in SPA

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you! Good news and bad news. Good news is after Ron removed the cover (need specialized tool) and reseated all the connections, it has operated flawlessly! He's an electrical technician kinda guy)
    The bad news now is that there is an obvious leak and there is air in jets...noisy.
    I just read it might be leak at light? We were just bemoaning the lousy design where the water lines ended up UNDER the concrete decking.
    Um...who let that one slip? Warning to those in design phase....don't put decking over your lines. We would now have to just put in new lines through grass to fix it. We are going to observe how much water loss is visible.
    Ron thinks the leak could be in that line to the pump...between skimmer and pump.
    I will suggest to look at the lights, too.
    May just have to sit for winter. We don't close or cover it in Central Texas...just use Trichlor instead of the chlorine generator til it gets warm again.
    Regards,
    Martha in Texas

6. Back To Top    #6

Generally suction and return lines don"t leak. Its fittings on the ends that leak. So concrete over pool suction and return lines is a perfectly acceptable practice. I many ways better than in a lawn or garden area because damage from other digging is a much more likely occurrence than a mid run leak. I'm not sure i understand how a leak at the light could cause air in the jets. Do you have a spa? Or do you mean air in returns?

I assume you mean air in the returns. Air anywhere usually means air pre pump, on the suction side. Which often means at the skimmer or on the pump housing like the debris basket. Is it sealed? Pour water over the debris basket while the pump is running does that stop the air? Is the pump priming ok?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    Generally suction and return lines don"t leak. Its fittings on the ends that leak. So concrete over pool suction and return lines is a perfectly acceptable practice. I many ways better than in a lawn or garden area because damage from other digging is a much more likely occurrence than a mid run leak. I'm not sure i understand how a leak at the light could cause air in the jets. Do you have a spa? Or do you mean air in returns?

I assume you mean air in the returns. Air anywhere usually means air pre pump, on the suction side. Which often means at the skimmer or on the pump housing like the debris basket. Is it sealed? Pour water over the debris basket while the pump is running does that stop the air? Is the pump priming ok?
    Good suggestions. Will take a look at debris basket and skimmer...we have had lots of rain and debris.
    Yes, to the return lines. (nevermind about what I said about light Suction line is good.
    No spa. I meant we have diagnosed we are getting air in return lines.
    Regards,
    Martha in Texas

8. Back To Top    #8

There might be a leaf or twig under the pump basket o-ring. That would introduce air into your return lines. Happened to me a week or so ago.

Most folks install a whole house surge protector in their breaker panel.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach