Plaster Problems - Plaster breaking off....

lovemyazpool

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 16, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Everyone -

I recently drained and refilled my pool. It was empty for about two days between the time it was drained, cleaned and then refilled. Today I noticed that on several of my steps, I am starting to see the plaster 'chip' off the steps.

Is this a major problem? Is it time to replaster or is this something that is normal as the plaster started to get older? The plaster is about 7 years old now.

How will I know when it is time to replaster?

Thanks

23345479381_5c8963236f_c.jpg

23319525842_5bb6143af0_c.jpg

It is chipping off right now, just in those two spots. The rest of the pools looks fantastic. These spots are both on the steps. When we washed down the pool, we did not notice these spots at all. I have a new robotic cleaner that actually climbs my steps and I just saw this today. The pieces that came off the steps were at the bottom of the pool directly under where they came off of. I was thinking that maybe the new robot may have knocked them loose (or knocked it off because it was already loose.

I was just wondering if I need to start thinking about resurfacing the pool or if this is something we can live with for another couple of years. The plaster is only about 7 years old.

Thanks

What kind of warranty do you have on the plaster? I have to wonder if a part of the new cleaner is rubbing/catching on the plaster there and rubbing it?

Seems to me plaster should last longer than 7 years.

Kim

Keep a close eye on the rest of the pool, before the plaster flakes off a small bubble or blister will form. When the bubble "pops" the plaster flakes off. There is usually a window of a couple of weeks where this can happen after a pool is drained and refilled. After a few weeks if you do not notice any new ones take some wet and dry sand paper and try to smooth the edges and the flaked area. Re-plaster is the fix if you get a lot of these areas.

This condition is known as "spalling" (flaking) of pool plaster. A weakness of a thin layer of plaster (in small areas) first developed and was caused by over-troweling during the original application. When the pool was drained and the plaster dried out, that caused some expansion and contraction, thereby resulting in those weak bonded areas to break or pop off when submerged in water again. It generally only happens on steps where over troweling occurs. It is not a major problem where re-plastering is necessary. Other than those affected areas, the rest of the plaster surface looks good.

Spalling is not caused by bad water chemistry or pool cleaners.
As LVPools stated above, obtain some 80 grit wet or dry sandpaper and sand those areas until smooth, if that is the desire It will take some hard sanding to accomplish. Or you can choose to ignore those areas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, I only mentioned that water chemistry and pool cleaners not causing spalling because it is a common misconception even within the pool industry (sad to say). So I try to make it clear regarding that point. Thanks for the comments.

The following link is another explanation (using different words) that I made about "spalling" just a couple of weeks ago. Plaster chunks coming off seat in spa - Repair advice needed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.