Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster Problems - Plaster breaking off....

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster Problems - Plaster breaking off....

Hi Everyone -

I recently drained and refilled my pool. It was empty for about two days between the time it was drained, cleaned and then refilled. Today I noticed that on several of my steps, I am starting to see the plaster 'chip' off the steps.

Is this a major problem? Is it time to replaster or is this something that is normal as the plaster started to get older? The plaster is about 7 years old now.

How will I know when it is time to replaster?

Thanks

33,000 Gallon, IG Plaster
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit
    Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair IntelliFlo Pump
    AutoPilot SWG & Chemical Controller

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster Problems - Plaster breaking off....

Can you reach it to fill it? Is it chipping off or is it a build up? Hard to tell from the pics. The answer will make a BIG difference.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

When you scrubbed it down when it was empty, did you notice it then?

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh good question!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

It is chipping off right now, just in those two spots. The rest of the pools looks fantastic. These spots are both on the steps. When we washed down the pool, we did not notice these spots at all. I have a new robotic cleaner that actually climbs my steps and I just saw this today. The pieces that came off the steps were at the bottom of the pool directly under where they came off of. I was thinking that maybe the new robot may have knocked them loose (or knocked it off because it was already loose.

I was just wondering if I need to start thinking about resurfacing the pool or if this is something we can live with for another couple of years. The plaster is only about 7 years old.

Thanks
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit
    Pentair IntelliFlo Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

What kind of warranty do you have on the plaster? I have to wonder if a part of the new cleaner is rubbing/catching on the plaster there and rubbing it?

Seems to me plaster should last longer than 7 years.

Kim

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Keep a close eye on the rest of the pool, before the plaster flakes off a small bubble or blister will form. When the bubble "pops" the plaster flakes off. There is usually a window of a couple of weeks where this can happen after a pool is drained and refilled. After a few weeks if you do not notice any new ones take some wet and dry sand paper and try to smooth the edges and the flaked area. Re-plaster is the fix if you get a lot of these areas.

8. Back To Top    #8

So if I only have a few of these spots, I should not worry about it and I don't need to do anything about it right now?
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit
    Pentair IntelliFlo Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

This condition is known as "spalling" (flaking) of pool plaster. A weakness of a thin layer of plaster (in small areas) first developed and was caused by over-troweling during the original application. When the pool was drained and the plaster dried out, that caused some expansion and contraction, thereby resulting in those weak bonded areas to break or pop off when submerged in water again. It generally only happens on steps where over troweling occurs. It is not a major problem where re-plastering is necessary. Other than those affected areas, the rest of the plaster surface looks good.

Spalling is not caused by bad water chemistry or pool cleaners.
    As LVPools stated above, obtain some 80 grit wet or dry sandpaper and sand those areas until smooth, if that is the desire It will take some hard sanding to accomplish. Or you can choose to ignore those areas.

10. Back To Top    #10

onBalance your knowledge and willingness to share it is awesome! I am going to try to remember this info but it is nice to know you already know it! LOL

Kim

11. Back To Top    #11

Yup. Onbalance is my most trusted source for sure!!!

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Onbalance, I would like to know why you said I was blaming water chemistry, read my answer again. I mentioned no cause only what it was and a remedy.

13. Back To Top    #13

No worries... I think OnBalance was agreeing with you, and only referenced your advice about using the sandpaper.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

14. Back To Top    #14

Onbalance was giving a broad answer for all readers. No worries!

15. Back To Top    #15

As always, thanks to everyone for the great information!
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit
    Pentair IntelliFlo Pump

16. Back To Top    #16

Hope you're enjoying your clear, pretty water!

17. Back To Top    #17

Yes, I only mentioned that water chemistry and pool cleaners not causing spalling because it is a common misconception even within the pool industry (sad to say). So I try to make it clear regarding that point. Thanks for the comments.

The following link is another explanation (using different words) that I made about "spalling" just a couple of weeks ago. Plaster chunks coming off seat in spa - Repair advice needed