Advice on new pressure side booster pump

paul_j

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2011
Menlo Park, CA
I hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving. I have a Pentair LA01N (AO Smith motor, 3/4 hp, 1.5 SF, 6.5a) that powers a Polaris 280. Compared to my Intellipro VS, the booster pump has always been noisey and an energy hog, and now it is making bearing noises that suggest it is entering the final stages of its life. I know that I can attempt to replace the bearings or get a new motor. But, for not much more, I could swap out the entire pump with:

a) Polaris PB4-60, now "new and improved. (3/4 hp, 1.5 SF, 6.4a)
b) another Pentair LA01N - seems to have the exact same specs as my 10+ year old one, so I am assuming the same motor
c) Pentair's Boost-Rite with "advanced 5-stage impeller." (1.1 hp, 1.0SF, 5a, 1" plumbing)

Does anyone know if any of these options would be quieter than my current booster, assuming I replaced the bearing? I saw this thread where udalley changed-in the boost rite and was pleased with a drop in noise, and the Boost Rite does use a bit less energy. Thanks in advance!

I've got the boost-rite and I replaced a pump similar to yours (maybe the same, can't recall the exact model number) and it was a huge reduction in noise and immediately started saving me $$$ on my energy bill. Mine pushes an old 280 around as well....

-Matt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.