Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aquapure 1400 What causes Salt cell to build up calcium

1. Back To Top    #1

Aquapure 1400 What causes Salt cell to build up calcium

I just cleaned my salt sell, acid bathed it for 30 minutes, it was gunked up with white stuff which I guess is calcium. What causes that and what can I do to prevent it or is there nothing I can do to prevent it?
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aquapure 1400 What causes Salt cell to build up calcium

High calcium content combined with inherently hi pH within the cell causes the scaling.

You may not be able to complete rid yourself of it, but the first step is properly balancing the pool chemistry.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Please provide your latest water test results (including CH and salt) and we can try to advise.

I have nearly 800ppm CH and my cell never has scale in it. There are ways to balance your water to prevent scale but we can only advise you based on current and accurate test results.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Does the scaling do any harm? Its honestly easier to pull the thing out every once in a while and drop it in an acid bath then it is to deal with the PH. The PH is naturally high here. Always around 8, I haven't dealt with the PH in years as it was just jug after jug of acid and I really don't like dealing with that stuff.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

The continuous acid baths slowly eat away at the salt cell plates and ultimately, you have to replace the cell sooner than you probably would need to otherwise.

If your pH continually rises, then most likely the TA is too high. Lowering the TA may well control the pH rise.
    Also, high CH and high pH could easily lead to calcium scaling on your pool surface.

I have not had to add any muriatic acid to my pool in 2 years.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

The chemical process of generation salt drives up the ph, so to stay in spec you have to keep adding acid.

You can reduce the problem by getting your levels back in spec. Borating you pool is also helpful, imo.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    The continuous acid baths slowly eat away at the salt cell plates and ultimately, you have to replace the cell sooner than you probably would need to otherwise.

If your pH continually rises, then most likely the TA is too high. Lowering the TA may well control the pH rise.
    Also, high CH and high pH could easily lead to calcium scaling on your pool surface.

I have not had to add any muriatic acid to my pool in 2 years.
    This is the first time I've done it, and I don't plan on doing it all that often. I'd love to control the PH, but I don't really think thats possible here. I tested the PH of the water out of the tap and its 8.0 or so. I could certainly try dropping the TA though.