question on adding chemicals during the same treatment and pH down opinion

NSBFAN

Nov 13, 2015
Minnesota
Hi everyone. I've been maintaining my pool myself for a couple of weeks now and things seem to be going well. As new things come up, new questions arise and I would appreciate any advice.

First, when it comes to pH, I noticed my pH over the last week rose from 7.6 to 8 (we have had quite a bit of rain, perhaps that did it?). I decided to buy pH down instead of liquid MA and will try that. I have read that MA is better but I didn't want the liquid at this point. Maybe later.

Can I add the pH down and my liquid chlorine during the same treatment time? Or should I wait some period of time between the two?

Thanks!

Muriatic has virtually no side effects. It is the best.

That said, what you brought is dry acid and it is fine aside from leaving sulfates in the water.....not enough to worry about long term, I think.

Can I add the pH down and my liquid chlorine during the same treatment time? Or should I wait some period of time between the two?

Thanks!

ALWAYS WAIT.

Add your pH Down product first (I'd dilute it in 5 gallon bucket of pool water) and then let to the pool circulate for a minimum of 30mins (45-60mins is better). Then add your liquid chlorine and allow it to circulate for 30mins.

Chlorine gas would be generated very quickly. Chlorine gas is very toxic and can quickly overwhelm a person if exposed directly to the gas. Think immediate burning sensation in the eyes, nose, mouth and throat. Excessive coughing... can easily cause you to pass out with possible permanent damage to mucous membranes in the eyes, nose, throat and even the lungs. Fatal in high enough doses.

You can shorten the wait time if you get in there with the brush after adding the first chemical. A wall whale moves so much water you'll be amazed. A couple strokes each direction should get whatever you've added sent to all corners of the pool in a hurry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.