Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: question on adding chemicals during the same treatment and pH down opinion

1. Back To Top    #1

question on adding chemicals during the same treatment and pH down opinion

Hi everyone. I've been maintaining my pool myself for a couple of weeks now and things seem to be going well. As new things come up, new questions arise and I would appreciate any advice.

First, when it comes to pH, I noticed my pH over the last week rose from 7.6 to 8 (we have had quite a bit of rain, perhaps that did it?). I decided to buy pH down instead of liquid MA and will try that. I have read that MA is better but I didn't want the liquid at this point. Maybe later.

Can I add the pH down and my liquid chlorine during the same treatment time? Or should I wait some period of time between the two?

Thanks!
    15000 gallon in-ground concrete pool, plaster finish. 1hp Sta-Rite P6RA6E-205L pump, Sta-Rite 2 cartridge filter, Rheem electric heat pump, no spa or water features.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: question on adding chemicals during the same treatment and pH down opinion

Muriatic has virtually no side effects. It is the best.

That said, what you brought is dry acid and it is fine aside from leaving sulfates in the water.....not enough to worry about long term, I think.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by NSBFAN View Post

Can I add the pH down and my liquid chlorine during the same treatment time? Or should I wait some period of time between the two?

Thanks!
    ALWAYS WAIT.

Add your pH Down product first (I'd dilute it in 5 gallon bucket of pool water) and then let to the pool circulate for a minimum of 30mins (45-60mins is better). Then add your liquid chlorine and allow it to circulate for 30mins.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the reply about waiting. I will do that in the future. Out of curiosity, what happens if they go in at about the same time? Interact? Lose effectiveness?
    15000 gallon in-ground concrete pool, plaster finish. 1hp Sta-Rite P6RA6E-205L pump, Sta-Rite 2 cartridge filter, Rheem electric heat pump, no spa or water features.

5. Back To Top    #5

Chlorine gas would be generated very quickly. Chlorine gas is very toxic and can quickly overwhelm a person if exposed directly to the gas. Think immediate burning sensation in the eyes, nose, mouth and throat. Excessive coughing... can easily cause you to pass out with possible permanent damage to mucous membranes in the eyes, nose, throat and even the lungs. Fatal in high enough doses.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

You can shorten the wait time if you get in there with the brush after adding the first chemical. A wall whale moves so much water you'll be amazed. A couple strokes each direction should get whatever you've added sent to all corners of the pool in a hurry.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!