Cost of heating pool

Nov 29, 2015
Cypress, TX
Hi! I recently bought a house with a pool. First house and first pool! My newphews are visiting for a week over Christmas and I'd like to heat the pool to about 85 during that week. It's currently at 70. I have a Hayward heater. Any guesstimates as to what that might cost? Hundreds? Thousands? I really have no idea. Half the people I've talked to said it won't cost much. The other half look at me like I'm crazy to even consider heating the pool because it will cost so much. The pool is about 9,000 gallons and I don't have a cover. Thanks!!!

It depends. I'm not sure what the cost of energy is where you live or what kind of heater you have, but to give you an idea of how much it takes to heat my pool (in regular pool season), it is about $3 per hour to run my 335k btu natural gas heater. My pool is 33k gallons, and my heater will raise the temperature about 1 degree per hour, so to get my pool from 70 to 85, it would cost about $50 and would take about 15 hours. Now to keep it at that temp for a week, assuming a loss of 3-5 degrees per night, that would be an extra $10-15 per day to keep it there. So figure $100-150 minimum.

Like others have said, it would depend on the cost of NG in your area. I am in the Los angeles area and have a large pool and spa. Just heating the spa 4 times in one month raised my NG bill from an average of $17 to $99 dollars. This is for a 12x8 oval shaped spa. I can't imagine what it would cost to heat the pool itself.

Without a cover on the pool, all of the heat you would add during the day would be lost overnight. So whatever the heat source is (Nat gas or electric) you can pretty much count on it running 24/7 the entire time. As well, without a cover, it is doubtful the water will get more than about 5F or so above the ambient air temperature before evaporative heat loss dominates and the temperature rise stalls out.

It's probably not feasible to heat your pool when the kids are there. If you had a silvered/reflective bubble cover, you might be able to get it swimmable for about a day (assuming warm weather holds) but that would require keeping it covered and running the heater for a few days before and during the swim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I have been watching this thread.... Without a cover of some sort to keep the heat in at night, it's tough.

I have to say that when it comes to family fun in the pool, I just pay my gas bill without looking too carefully at the cost. Some things are priceless....

My old Hayward 400btu, would heat about 1-1/2 degrees an hour in my 27K covered pool. My new Raypack 400btu does at least twice that: ~4 degrees an hour. Amazing.

Cost? I don't look too carefully. My last gas bill was $60 for the house and about a week of 24/7 pool heating, although air temps were moderate, ~70 during the day. I have always thought that it is cheaper to maintain pool heat rather than go zero to sixty repeatedly.

I crank it for special occasions only and consider it a part of my party/celebration expenses. Call me frivolous, but my Memorial Day and Indian Summer parties have been some of my faves here in IL.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.