Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thermal blankets?

1. Back To Top    #1

Thermal blankets?

I live in NJ, was doing some searches online and just came across a thermal blanket for spas. We have a Sundance Hamilton (2014 model) and it is about a year old. Does anyone use a thermal blanket? Wondering if it's something we should look at as we head into the winter again....Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Thermal blankets?

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a spa guy but I assume your spa is covered already with an insulated cover, correct?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If what you are talking about is a thin foam sheet that sits on top of the water, then that's mostly to cut down evaporation to slow down how much water gets absorbed by the hot tub cover, especially when it's water-blocking layer gets broken down. Heat insulation should primarily be from the thick cover over the spa.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. Yes, we do currently have a cover. I was wondering if it would prolong the life of the cover in addition to providing additional insulation. We do have quite a bit of water on the inside of the cover. I'm not sure how long we can expect it to last.

(BTW, first time posting but I've been lurking and searching these posts for almost a year now as I switched to the dichlor bleach method after screwing up the first fill with really high CYA...Thank you!)

5. Back To Top    #5

what type of insulation is it? Fiberglas is basically worthless when wet. Foam should help.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale