Brand new pool owner, white ring around pool edge?

Nov 29, 2015
Davis, CA
Hi! Brand new pool owner here, been a city apartment dweller my whole life. We just closed on the house with pool and I'm trying to crash course myself on how to take care of it. It is a pebbletec IG pool ringed with fake rock. The chlorine is generated by a Chlorine Genie machine. The water looks clear but a bit full of debris since the previous owners moved out. The current water temp is ~45-50oF. As we haven't moved in yet, I haven't been able to do any testing of the water. However, I've noticed a white crusty ring has appeared around the whole pool at the water line since we've been in the negotiation phase of the house purchase. Based on my reading, I'm going to guess this is due to water hardness, which is supposed to be very bad here in Davis, CA. However, I'd love to hear opinions about what the white stuff is from and how to fix it.

I attached a picture, sorry about the weird orientation. It is correct on my computer, but not when I upload to the forum.

I'm very excited and nervous about jumping into the deep end of pool ownership! I hope it is very rewarding and thanks in advance. This forum seems like a wealth of knowledge that I plan to tap for a very long time.

IMG_5637.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5638.jpg
    IMG_5638.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 79
I think you are correct about water hardness. A set of test results will probably confirm that. The only permanent cure is to use softened water as a fill water and slowly the CH will be reduced.

Meanwhile a dilute (3:1) muriatic acid will probably clean thaty off or minimize it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.