owner build - suspended pool infinity edge

Jun 29, 2010
TT
Hi folks, just sharing some pics
of what is probably not too run of the mill...

upload_-1.jpg

Pool slab is suspended off a hill side 35ft above grade
20 x 13, 3'6"-4'10" with 70 s.f. Baja shelf
Infinity edge is 18ft, the trough is 2' x 3'.

The pool slab has just been poured. In the upstand you can see a waterstop to receive the vertical pour.

upload_-1.jpg

Any tips welcome

Openpool

Wow! Looks really interesting! Can you post before pics? If you use program like photobucket you can post pics directly by copying the IMG and pasting. How are you chlorinating your pool? Salt or bleach/chlorine? What kind of plaster? Where are you located? We love pics so keep us updated!

Hi maria, thanks for the tip on the photobucket - will check it out. I've added some before photos for you in the mean time

For this I'll be using variable intelliflos, ic40 (volume is less than 12000 gallons), 24" sand filter and another intelliph to inject acid....I've had good experiences with that setup in the past.

This build is in the s. caribbean...TT.

Looks real interesting Openpool. Someone had a great vision which is coming to reality - very exciting. I'm sure this called for detailed engineering for the cantilever and water weight.
Love that you used thin air to create additional square feet!!!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Yes a hillside construction such as this took a lot of planning. And I've enjoyed seeing the professionals do their thing. Essentially, after the topographical study was done, a rough determination as to how many levels we could get was made. Surely it ends up being more than you need ("Really? A home theater beneath the pool?!"). A soil study enabled knowing importantly the bearing capacity of the soil, among other things. Using a safety factor against the live and dead loads (pool water alone is more than 30 tonnes despite my best efforts to really keep this as reasonably small as possible) then the structural provisions could be made.

Let's hope the math is correct!

Ground up time lapse for first two months nhe month 1 2 - YouTube

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm trying to keep the updates pool-centric but since the pool is integrated so tightly with the building I thought I'd still update with these...

The slab surrounding the pool is 2700sf. Here you can see more formwork going up over the last couple days so that steel can be laid on it. It is at this level what would normally be a bond beam on an inground pool is being integrated with the building shell -- a 24 x 16 beam. The beam actually runs all the way into the hillside into soil anchors that are then backfilled. Supposedly this is to minimise any downhill movement of the structure. the entire slab, beams and vertical pool walls will be poured monolithically.

upload_-1.jpg

As for the bonding, solid copper is not available here so stranded copper is sanctioned. Split bolts were used to attach to the rebar and at the corners, pigtails were left to tie onto the rebar in the slab. For 5/8" rebar and 2 copper pieces, the 350MCM size worked well.

No ladder, railing (wanted to keep it minimal looking) or metal niche is being used on the pool . So for the bonding of the water itself, I decided on placing a skimmer, although normally I find this redundant on an edge pool. I'd seen some youtube talk about the requirement being that the bond be made with water always in contact and the pipe insert with the lug had me wondering. So I went for the skimmer mounted bond kit instead . Maybe someone can suggest additional means of ensuring that water doesn't leak through the rubber o ring and the drilled hole....or am I just paranoid?

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

Can you tell we're big on safety down here?!

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

I've also started putting 'pen to paper' as to the trough details trying to finalise it all -- sight lines, volumes, etc... I've enjoyed reading may posts on TFP about sizing and so on. Some great resources on this site.

upload_-1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.