Main Drain Leak - HELP!

Aug 15, 2014
ROCHESTER
After closing the pool I discovered that I was losing 1/2" of water per day. I waited to see if it would stop so I could use the dye on the plumbing, but it hasn't. I am below the skimmer and the inlets by 6". At this point my guess is the main drain.

Question: what are my options being that it's 40 degrees here in upstate NY and won't be getting warmer any time soon. (The pool opening usually happens around mid-May at the earliest.)

Is there anything I can do other than to hose fill the pool and then monitor it during the winter months? Is there such a thing as a main drain cover that will seal itself off?

I estimate that it will cost me about $80 in water until I can get in the pool in May. Not a killer but I'd like to know that I'm not overlooking other options.

Re: Main Drain Leak - HELP

Hi Dave,
Do you have a pool light? The light conduit is famous for leaking too. Usually, its the nipple on back of the niche that cracks.

I also notice you have a vinyl liner. It will not be good if the water drops any lower than about 6 inch deep in the shallow end. if it gets lower, the weight of the water in the deep end will start uplling on the liner and could either end up in some bad wrinkles that will be about impossible to remove.

Not the best of news and I really dont know what opitons in your area you might have of finding someone to fix it.

Divin Dave, thanks for the response.

No pool light. Right now the water level is below "all" plumbing except the main drain of course.

I guess the "options" answer I am looking for is "what can I do between now and mid-May?"

By filling it I'm feeding the leak but protecting the rest of the pool. Not ideal - but - it's not like this is the summer and I can check things out or have them checked out.

To all that read this: Google "main drain suction mat" and tell me your thoughts.

Do I think it will cut down on the leakage? "I DON'T KNOW!!!"

Is it worth trying? "I DON'T KNOW THAT EITHER!!!

In theory it "might" work but what's stopping it from just moving over time? (Do I place water jackets on top of it? Again, I don't know what I don't know.)

Dave,
I googled the main drain suction mat. It might slow down the leak a bit, but I have doubts it would stop it. I would think for long term, it would need to be weighted down. The gamble is the cost of the mat.

It might be worth a try calling pool store to see if they scuba dive in cold water. All they could do is say no.

I would also recommend that you consider editing the name of this thread to something like Main Drain Leak.. or similar, so that the speicific problem is more visible to others on the forum. "Leak" is pretty generic and cover lots of things.... and a lot of folks who maybe can help might just pass over this thread.

I called today about my pool leak. I was told by the owner/diver that at this time of year it is best to just fill the pool with water ($2.71 per 1000 gallons) and in the spring he will come out and check it out. (He gave me a price of $150 for him to check it out and fix the leak.)

So, pretty much what I figured would happen being it's December in upstate NY - but - I was pleasantly surprised with a non-scary estimate. (I know, I know, it's not the estimate that kills you, it's the final price.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.