Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair pump problem

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Pentair pump problem

I have a Pentair Intelliflo 3hp vs pump. The pump recently started leaking where the the wet side meets the motor, so I have a rebuild kit coming to fix it. It just started making a louder higher pitch sound than normal when running but is moving water as normal. Is it ok to run the pump like this until i get the rebuild kit or best to shut it down?
    Commercial Pool Facility| Pool 35,000Gal, Pentair Inelliflo VS, Pentair Triton II 140, CircuPool SI 35 +| Indoor Spas 12,500Gal, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Pentair Triton II 100, Circupool Si 25+| Outdoor tub 10,000 Gal, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Pentair Triton II 100, Circupool Si 25+

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair pump problem

Your bearings may be shot. If the shaft seal is bad and is allowing water to infiltrate the "dry" side of the pump it could damage the motor. I would leave it off for now.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Pentair pump problem

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    Your bearings may be shot. If the shaft seal is bad and is allowing water to infiltrate the "dry" side of the pump it could damage the motor. I would leave it off for now.
    Yea figured, thanks. Looks like the shaft seal is the issue
    Commercial Pool Facility| Pool 35,000Gal, Pentair Inelliflo VS, Pentair Triton II 140, CircuPool SI 35 +| Indoor Spas 12,500Gal, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Pentair Triton II 100, Circupool Si 25+| Outdoor tub 10,000 Gal, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Pentair Triton II 100, Circupool Si 25+