Concrete dust in pool?

I am planning to remove portions of an 18 inch wall that is only 6 ft away from my pool. We will need to cut the wall in several places and I was wondering if the dust from cutting the block and stucco is very bad for my pool chemistry and filtration. I just got a new liner and fresh water in the pool and everything is wonderfully balanced. When the wall is subsequently being knocked down, there is of course the potential for debris to make its way into the water as well, so I have to be careful to not damage my new liner when removing building materials from the pool.

Is the dust a major concern, or will a thorough backwash and filter cleaning take care of it?

A pool cover would help a lot.

If you get dust in the pool, the filter should take care of it. The bigger problem is keeping the larger, sharper chunks on concrete from piercing the liner. You might trying buying one or more large tarps from Home Depot to cover the pool with. Just be sure to mark the boundary of the pool so people can safely walk around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Langerking:

If you are cutting the concrete, dust is your only concern, especially with a wet saw. If you take a sledge hammer to the wall, you will be surprised how far bits of concrete can travel. JoyfulNoise recommendation of a cover may be your best option to protect the new liner. Outside of this, I would shut down the main drain, pull from the skimmers and add skimmer socks to pick up all the debris & dust before it gets to the filter.

If you could take a picture of the pool and wall you are taking down, this would be great. If not, what exactly are the dimensions of the wall and is it all concrete or something else. Another idea is to place a 4'*8' piece of plywood ($25) in front of what you cutting, etc. Any piece of concrete will not go up, but outwards towards to the plywood, etc. Thanks!.

I wouldn't worry about dust, just large debris. If it were me, I'd set up some saw horses or anything tall around the perimeter of the pool and drape tarps or painters plastic over them to form a temporary barrier between your work zone and the pool water. I'd demo that wall out in the direction of the house, broom it up, shop vac the dust, and be done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.