Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete dust in pool?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Clermont, Florida (that's near Disney World)

Concrete dust in pool?

I am planning to remove portions of an 18 inch wall that is only 6 ft away from my pool. We will need to cut the wall in several places and I was wondering if the dust from cutting the block and stucco is very bad for my pool chemistry and filtration. I just got a new liner and fresh water in the pool and everything is wonderfully balanced. When the wall is subsequently being knocked down, there is of course the potential for debris to make its way into the water as well, so I have to be careful to not damage my new liner when removing building materials from the pool.

Is the dust a major concern, or will a thorough backwash and filter cleaning take care of it?
    1) 21,000 gallons
    2) DE
    3) IG (in ground)
    4) Vinyl
    5) Hayward 1.5 hp DE 3600 72 GPM

Taylor K-2006
    STA-RITE Great White GW9500

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concrete dust in pool?

A pool cover would help a lot.

If you get dust in the pool, the filter should take care of it. The bigger problem is keeping the larger, sharper chunks on concrete from piercing the liner. You might trying buying one or more large tarps from Home Depot to cover the pool with. Just be sure to mark the boundary of the pool so people can safely walk around it.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Langerking:

If you are cutting the concrete, dust is your only concern, especially with a wet saw. If you take a sledge hammer to the wall, you will be surprised how far bits of concrete can travel. JoyfulNoise recommendation of a cover may be your best option to protect the new liner. Outside of this, I would shut down the main drain, pull from the skimmers and add skimmer socks to pick up all the debris & dust before it gets to the filter.

If you could take a picture of the pool and wall you are taking down, this would be great. If not, what exactly are the dimensions of the wall and is it all concrete or something else. Another idea is to place a 4'*8' piece of plywood ($25) in front of what you cutting, etc. Any piece of concrete will not go up, but outwards towards to the plywood, etc. Thanks!.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

4. Back To Top    #4

Tarps and some kind of 4 X 8 sheet goods are the ticket. Go cheap on the lumber; 3/8" OSB will work fine. Lay it against a couple of saw horses and seal the bottom with a run of duct tape if necessary. As already said, the debris with travel further than you think, so go big.
    13,000 gal.Peanut shaped IG Plaster (med. gray) w/ 7' raised spa. ALL Pentair: Intelliflow 3hp VS, Cartridge filter, 400,000 btu heater, 2.0hp spa motor, Easy Touch control panel & is4 spa side switch, Intellichlor 40C SWG, Paramount PV3 In Floor cleaning system, spa spillway and two sheer descents. Solar: 10 FAFCO panels 1.5hp booster. Testt kits: K-2006 & K1766 (Chloride/Salt) Fill date August 15, 2114.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all the tips, I was considering some type of barrier and the 4X8 sheets of OSB are a good idea.
    1) 21,000 gallons
    2) DE
    3) IG (in ground)
    4) Vinyl

Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

RemoveWall.jpg
    I will be removing a little more than 21' of this 18 inch high wall (right up to the far left post in this picture) and we will replace with sliding sectional glass doors. Of course we will be replacing the posts with longer posts to support the trusses above.
    1) 21,000 gallons
    2) DE
    3) IG (in ground)
    4) Vinyl

Taylor K-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Is it a cinder block wall or is it 100% filled with concrete? If it is a block wall, cutting at the joints could make your life easier.

8. Back To Top    #8

I am not sure if the block is filled. I will need to drill a few holes and see. It's possible that the builder filled them, but I don't know why they would waste concrete that way. It is probably filled where the posts are.
    1) 21,000 gallons
    2) DE
    3) IG (in ground)
    4) Vinyl

Taylor K-2006

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Sorry, I meant only a block coarse with a type of stucco coating. If so, then you can find the joint and easily break each one part without causing such a mess.

10. Back To Top    #10

I wouldn't worry about dust, just large debris. If it were me, I'd set up some saw horses or anything tall around the perimeter of the pool and drape tarps or painters plastic over them to form a temporary barrier between your work zone and the pool water. I'd demo that wall out in the direction of the house, broom it up, shop vac the dust, and be done.
    10,000 gallon in ground diamond brite, Circupool si30+, Hayward C900 cartridge, 1.5hp Flotec single speed pump