Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best setup for outdoor stereo system

1. Back To Top    #1

Best setup for outdoor stereo system

Does anyone have a great setup for outdoor stereo setup that they can recommend? My pool is a little bit away from my covered patio, so it would be great if there's a solution that can be outdoor uncovered.

My only two requirements are bluetooth enabled (which I can do with an adapter) and loud.

Thanks!
    Construction underway.

33x23 freeform 16k gallon IG pool, pebblesheen, SWG in Austin, TX
    Pentair 3HP VS pump, Hayward 30" sand filter
    Build thread: New Austin, TX Owner Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best setup for outdoor stereo system

We love our SONOS speakers. Not rated for outdoor uncovered though. Great sound quality and easy. And you can put as many as you want everywhere and play the same music everywhere or different music in different areas. We have them all over now. We leave 3 of them outside on covered porches.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Sonos amp to Kliptish outdoor speakers
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

4. Back To Top    #4

i like the CSW outdoor speakers but never heard of an outdoor-rated amplifier. you may have to build an enclosure for the electronics (e.g. BT-enabled receiver) or leave them indoors. there is speaker wire rated directly for burial, no conduit needed. you won't pass code doing that for mains power though.
    plumbing up wall-mounted equipment and plenty gauges below a 500G wooden outdoor hot tub.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the Sonos amp with bowers and Wilkins outdoor speakers. I love the way they sound and look.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Screwly View Post
    I have the Sonos amp with bowers and Wilkins outdoor speakers. I love the way they sound and look.
    Im using a yamaha receiver outdoors with Atrium 6s on one part of the deck, Bose unground speakers, and Bose 251 on pergola.

I used pvc to run all the wire through.

7. Back To Top    #7

Did you pull the trigger!
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

8. Back To Top    #8

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking as well!

9. Back To Top    #9

I Have Definitive AW6500's mounted to the roof soffit at either end of the pool connected to a Sonos amp inside. I control it all with my phone.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

I just got a Fugoo XL, a rechargeable Bluetooth speaker. Not the epitome of hi end sound, but waterproof and good enough for my daughter and her friends to listen to Demi Lavato while swimming. Long battery life and actually sounds pretty good.

FUGOO Sport XL - Largest Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
    17k IG plaster pool+ spa, Stonescape mini-pebble midnight blue, marble coping, Trex and porcelain tile decking, Pentair Intelliflo VSP x 3 (filter, laminars and spa jets), Pentair IC40, Pentair MasterTemp 400, Pentair Quad DE 100, Pentair CC 150 for laminars, Intellibrite 5G LEDs, MagicStream Laminars x 3, Intellitouch i9+3 automation with Screenlogic2, IntellipH, Dolphin s300i, TFTest kit, SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

Google Chromecast audio is the perfect solution for outdoor audio. It cost 35$ and allows wifi control, tune-in app integration, and recently allows multicasting.(you can use multiple chromecast that will sync) Basically a Sonos for 35$. It's not the same as the chromecast for video and allows hi-def audio... up to 24/96 if you stream from you device and use the optical output. I added Klipsch AW-650's and an old Sony amp for great sound and control.
    build thread 16' by 40' rectangular shotcrete IG, coverpool stainless cable autocover, pentair, MDX-R3 main drain, 3side/3 floor eco pool returns, 2 skimmers, 2 globrite LED's, quad DE, Intellichlor, 3.5 to 6', one 6" and one 16" sun shelves

12. Back To Top    #12

Here is my setup. It's a Raspberry Pi with a Hifiberry DAC running Volumio the amp and speakers are a set from parts-express.com. The amp and raspberry pi are contained in a sprinkler box mounted to the same pole my pool light switch is on. With Volumio you can use a locally attached USB drive or I have it connected to my NAS via Wifi where all my music is at.

IMG_1611.jpg

Speakers and Amp

Sprinkler Box
    22k gal 18'x36' Rectangle In Ground Vinyl Lining
    Hayward Pump and Filter
    Hayward AquaRite T-15 SWG
    Polaris 280

13. Back To Top    #13

I have Kicker KB6000 speakers tucked up into the underside of the balcony decking and the pool is 25' away. Sounds great. They are wired into the B channel of my receiver in the family room. Hooked up to AppleTV and DirecTV so I can listen to music from AppleTV or watch TV outside. Controlled via smartphone by Harmony Hub.
    IMG_7777.jpg
    33,1K gallon IG Vinyl - 1.5hp Sta-Rite Supermax VS - Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter - 35w 12v Pentair Color Change - Aquabot Pro IG

14. Back To Top    #14

So it's funny after several months to come back to this thread that I started and see all of these great ideas.

What I ended up doing I am really happy with. I got 4 rock speakers from Amazon ($100 total) and wired them up (buried wire) through our laundry room into a Denon 4100w receiver. The receiver is way overkill I think, but I got it at a Goodwill auction for $420.

This setup really jams loud. It's awesome.

For future onlookers, I really struggled with which wireless option was best for the iPhone. After wrestling with Bluetooth, I ultimately decided that AirPlay was the best. This is built in to many receivers right now. Only thing is that I had to get a $20 repeater to get my signal out to my pool stronger for streaming. When I start playing music, it turns the receiver on automatically. When my friends come over, I just give them the wifi password and they can play their Spotify playlists.

Thanks for all the ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention that the reason rock speakers worked really well for my project waste that I had a rock wall already in the landscape and you can't even see them.

Next step is to get a projector screen and projector.

15. Back To Top    #15

I second the use of chromecast Audio. I use it with a old garage sale stereo reciever and Yamaha outdoor speakers on the deck and it sounds great. Whole setup cost me maybe $300 including 200 ft of in wall speaker cable as the reciever resides in the living room. The range is only limited by your WIFI range and works with most music streaming services. Best part is the phone battery lasts a long time as the actual streaming is done by the chromecast and the phone is only a remote control. Very easy to setup and use. I'm getting ready to run another pair of speakers to the pool.
    15x30x54 AG Swim n Play Westminster II
    13,500 gal Vinyl Liner
    Blue Torrent 1 1/2 HP 2 SP, Blue Torrent 23" sand filter
    TF-100 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

It would be nice if they would include Airplay and Google music to the list of available options....but that would likely change the affordable $35 to $135.
    My Build Thread 16' X 33' Freeform 3.5' - 6' depth 8' Round Spa StoneScapes Midnight Blue Mini Pebble Noble Tile - Pietra Lavica (Lipari) Tile Oklahoma Flagstone Philips Hue Color LED's in Light Poles Hayward Tri-Star Hayward Sand Filter Hayward Navigator E-Command 4 control panel w/ remote 725 sqft washed aggregate decking

17. Back To Top    #17

Chromecast allows Google music

15x30x54 AG Swim n Play Westminster II
    13,500 gal Vinyl Liner
    Blue Torrent 1 1/2 HP 2 SP, Blue Torrent 23" sand filter
    TF-100 test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Only if the song was purchased through the Google Play Music Store....which I'd bet 95% of most Android users music was not.
    My Build Thread 16' X 33' Freeform 3.5' - 6' depth 8' Round Spa StoneScapes Midnight Blue Mini Pebble Noble Tile - Pietra Lavica (Lipari) Tile Oklahoma Flagstone Philips Hue Color LED's in Light Poles Hayward Tri-Star Hayward Sand Filter Hayward Navigator E-Command 4 control panel w/ remote 725 sqft washed aggregate decking

19. Back To Top    #19

Not true on only using music purchased through the Google Music Store. You can upload songs you got from anywhere to your Google Play Music Library and play them for free from anywhere.
    My 2016 pool build, 13,250 gallons 14' 6" x 35' 6" 99' perimeter 472 sq. ft., IG gunite play pool with table, 8' x 8' spa with rolled neck and spillway, 400k BTU heater, Cartridge Filter, Intelliflow variable speed pump, Polaris 280 and booster, raised beam water feature with 2 port fountains, Jandy PS4 with iAqualink automation, Sanitized with Bleach, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir.

20. Back To Top    #20

I do A/V for a living and I think SONOS is the best option, hands down. I will say this, their amps are extremely underwhelming. I have a pair of Speakercraft OE8's connected to an old Yamaha amp with a SONOS connect and it really jams. My backyard is pretty big and I can clearly hear all of the audio from the property line. The only bad part about SONOS is that you have to have a pretty strong network for you to maintain connectivity for control. As always, there are a 10 different solutions that can accomplish the same result. It's all about how much functionality you want.
    13,000 gallon / In Ground / Gunite with pebble finish / 2 speed Hayward Pump / Hayward C1750 cartridge filter / SGS Breeze 540 Chlorine Generator (40k gallon) / Pool 100% sunlight no cage

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast