Need to confirm WFE-6 compatible 2-speed motor

Nov 2, 2015
San Diego, CA
I am going to purchase a new motor to convert my single speed WFE-6 pump motor. For a sanity check I need to confirm that Pentair motor 071320S will fit on the WFE-6 housing. Could anyone that has done this confirm this is the correct two speed motor that I need. From the description it seems that it will be okay. It's too late to call Pentair tonight. I don't want to purchase it and risk damage.

Here is a description:

• Two Speed Motor for 1 1/2 Horsepower WhisperFlo Pumps
  • Two Speed Motor for 2 Horsepower SuperFlo and Pinnacle Pumps.
  • Energy Efficient - Full Rated Motor
  • 3450 RPM High Speed - 1725 RPM Low Speed

Thank you
Chris

That motor will work with your pump. However, I would consider going to a small variable speed pump instead. Even on low, that pump will use over 700 watts. A variable speed can usually be operated at a much lower power. By the time you buy the motor and seal kit, the cost is not that far from a smaller vsp. If the whisperflo is old, it's not unusual to need a new impeller and seal plate. Both of those are expensive.

It also looks like you might qualify for a $200 rebate for installing a variable speed pump. Check with your power supplier.

I am going to purchase a new motor to convert my single speed WFE-6 pump motor. For a sanity check I need to confirm that Pentair motor 071320S will fit on the WFE-6 housing. Could anyone that has done this confirm this is the correct two speed motor that I need. From the description it seems that it will be okay. It's too late to call Pentair tonight. I don't want to purchase it and risk damage.

Here is a description:

• Two Speed Motor for 1 1/2 Horsepower WhisperFlo Pumps
  • Two Speed Motor for 2 Horsepower SuperFlo and Pinnacle Pumps.
  • Energy Efficient - Full Rated Motor
  • 3450 RPM High Speed - 1725 RPM Low Speed

Thank you
Chris

If you're on a standard Intermatic timer, check out this 2 speed motor that is a direct replacement for that pump- B2983T

Low speed 1.6amps X 230volts = 368watts

That motor will work with your pump. However, I would consider going to a small variable speed pump instead. Even on low, that pump will use over 700 watts. A variable speed can usually be operated at a much lower power. By the time you buy the motor and seal kit, the cost is not that far from a smaller vsp. If the whisperflo is old, it's not unusual to need a new impeller and seal plate. Both of those are expensive.

It also looks like you might qualify for a $200 rebate for installing a variable speed pump. Check with your power supplier.

JamesW - I appreciate the input. I have looked into the VS pumps and YES they are an extremely attractive option. However, I am using a Compool CP3600 controller and my circuit board will not accommodate a VS without the Intellicom. Even with the Intellicom I would not have enough relays to utilize the 4 different settings a VS has to offer. The only combination that makes sense with my CP3600 would be an easy touch upgrade and VS pump. I am trying to utilize the existing controller hence the hesitation. We are also going to go solar electric so we will save there as well.

You do bring up an important point regarding the motor and seal kit. I will have to weigh the options of buying a new pump versus just the motor and seal kit. If the delta is close enough, I will opt for a new pump and make the old pump a refurb project.

Thank you.
Chris

Yes, but those are maximum ratings not operating points. A pump motor will usually draw much less than the maximum rating on the label especially on low speed. The numbers I am quoting come from actual measurements.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.