Mesh Cover Not an Option?

Jun 9, 2014
Danvers, MA
I have a mesh cover for my AG pool. Last winter in New England we had a crazy amount of snow in February. It ended up damaging my liner and parts of the wall are crumpled although I'm told it's structurally sound. I had the liner replaced. The gentleman who replaced it said I should get a pump to remove extra water from the cover. I bought one, however, duh, I've realized that I have a mesh cover and a pump is pretty useless as the cover's still under a few feet of water. Am I missing something? Should I buy a solid liner? Am I doomed with the mesh cover should it freeze and build up snow?

I have a solid cover, but have also had mesh types also. I don't use a pump. I siphon the water of he top. Before the water freezes, I keep the level below skimmer. If we get a lot of snow(like last 2 winters), I try and remove as much snow as possible with snow shovel.

I have a solid cover, but have also had mesh types also. I don't use a pump. I siphon the water of he top. Before the water freezes, I keep the level below skimmer. If we get a lot of snow(like last 2 winters), I try and remove as much snow as possible with snow shovel.

Well, the mesh cover is submerged in the middle by at least a foot or two of water. I've pulled it as tight as I can and the pool is drained below the skimmer.

I want to protect it from damage and I'm trying to think what the easiest way to do that is. New solid cover? One of those blow up things for the middle? I won't be able to reach the top of the pool well enough to shovel snow off of it.

I wonder if it would even be better off with no cover at all.

OK, so now I am understanding this a little bit better. It seems like a mesh cover with the pillows is the best option.

With a pool that is 15' by 30', does anyone know how many pillows I will need and what size? I see 4' x 5' and 4' x 8' options on Amazon.

I would suggest 2 4x8 pillows. The last few winters here have been very bad. You want to prevent the ice forces on the pool as much as possible. Some people use empty bleach bottles filled with some water tossed inside, the ice will crush them.

I would stay away from a cover completely. If we have a winter like last year here the weight of the snow on the cover can actually collapse the walls inward. You should see the in ground pools with safety covers, they to allow melt water to flow thru, but in a lot of cases the spring mechanisms actually broke or were bent straight by the weight of the snow. If you insist on a cover due to leaves, just remove it before the first snowfall. In areas with more than 5' of avg accumulation i wouldn't recommend to put a cover on any above ground pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.