Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 【help】how to remove the stuck by ice melt at the bottom of the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

【help】how to remove the stuck by ice melt at the bottom of the pool

Hi, we used the ice melt (CaCl2) to increase the hardness of the swimming pool. When I poured the bag of ice melt into the water, I poured too quick and then we found some white lumps at the bottom of the pool which is really hard and sticky on the vinyl. Could you please give any advise how we should do now and will it damage my pool? Thanks a lot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 【help】how to remove the stuck by ice melt at the bottom of the pool

Have you tried brushing it with a wall brush? Calcium chloride should always be pre-dissolved in a bucket of water because two things can happen - it can clump together forming a very dense and hard cake that takes a long time to dissolve AND it heats up water as it hydrates and dissolves. While the temperature rise can be easily felt, I don't think it can actually melt a vinyl liner. It probably just caked up on the bottom of the pool liner and now you need to vigorously brush it to get it to dissolve.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates