Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Large in-ground SPA

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Large in-ground SPA

I have a rather large in ground spa (no pool just spa). I am winterizing it as it will not be used this winter. I have emptied it, blown all the water out of the lines. Add pool antifreeze to some of the exposed lines. I filled it back up to below the jets. However the jet lines are rather low. My question is will the remaining spa walls, not under water, crack or become damaged, if left out of the water? This is NOT a plastic/silicone type of spa. Should the water line go all the way up to just under the skimmer? If yes will the jets be ok underwater during the winter? In Apex, NC we do not get extended hard freezes!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Large in-ground SPA

If it's a plaster surface, I would not leave it half exposed. The exposed portion of the plaster could get damaged but, more likely, you will get an ugly calcium scale ring at the water line. You'll want to treat this like a very small in-ground pool, winterize the plumbing as best you can and chemically treat the water so that you keep it from going green. You should also open the SPA back up in the Spring as soon as the water starts reaching 60F consistently so that you can avoid algae growth.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Large in-ground SPA

So the Jet lines being under water will be ok? They are at least a foot below the skimmer line.