Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Hot Tub with brown water

1. Back To Top    #1

Fallon, Nevada

Unhappy New Hot Tub with brown water

I'm new here, and just got a new hot tub too. After filling the tub with clear clean water, I added the chlorine and my water, filters and drain all turned brown. I read on another page how to remedy the brown and get back to clear, but now it shows too much chlorine. Our dealer is a rude old guy and he isn't any help.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: New Hot Tub with brown water

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new tub! Just in time for winter.

The chlorine will dissipate fairly quickly. I have maintained my tub for two years using this process and it is great.
    How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Welcome to the forum.

I read on another page how to remedy the brown and get back to clear,
    What did you read?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Filled from a well? It sounds like the chlorine reacted with metals. Use some peroxide to lower the chlorine and see if you can get the metals back into suspension.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Grand Rapids, MI

Welcome. If you're on a well, when you do a water change, this product will sequester the metals: : Metal Gon/Defender Two pack : Leisure Time Spa Metal Gon : Patio, Lawn Garden

I also use this pre filter: : Pre Fresh Garden Hose End Water Filter all purpose, pool, spa, hot tub, pets, car wash : Garden Hose Parts : Patio, Lawn Garden

Hope that helps you have an easier fill next time Enjoy your new hot tub!

PS...pre filters seem to get some of the iron, but never expect them to get all of the iron...for me it reduces the iron enough to not get a tint when adding chlorine, but it really depends how much iron is in your source water.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains