LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Charter Oak, California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I purchased a Intex skimmer shortly after I set up our first pool for the first time this year. The pool comes with two lines from the pool to the pump and one return line from the pump to the pool. (See attachment) The skimmer is connected to the line to the pump farthest from the return to the pool. For the second Line to the pump, Intex provides a plug with a small hole in it (See attachment) for use when the skimmer is connected. When I use the Intex vacuum hose, the plug with the hole is replaced with a plug without a hole to increase the suction on the vacuum hose (I suppose), the skimmer is disconnected and the vacuum hose is attached to the line to the pump where the skimmer had been connected.

I noticed that when I disconnect the vacuum hose and reconnect the skimmer, the skimmer seems to move more surface water if I don't replace the plug with no hole with the plug with the hole to the second line from the pool to the pump.

Confused?? Now my question. Is there any reason I need to use the plug with the small hole when the skimmer is attached? Or can I leave the plug with no hole in the second line from the pool to the pump so as to increase the flow of water to the skimmer.

I have attached image of the pool. The hose to the far left is the pool return. The hose on the far right is the skimmer/vacuum connection. The hose in the middle has the plug.

thanks, Schnozz

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 110
The dimension , flange to flange is 2.25". The actual plug portion is 1.25". The strainer cover comes off, the plug is placed over the strainer hole in the side of the pool and the cover is replaced.

Thanks for responding....

Your thinking sounds right to me too. I know that's the reason for to hoses from the pool to the pump.

They look the same to me. The Intex pool pump and filter came with three black plugs with no hole. The Intex skimmer came with one white plug with a whole as in the attached image.

When the intex pools came with one inlet, it was 40mm in diameter. ( The same size as the return outlet) Each of the new inlets is about half the size of the single older style inlets. If you block one inlet off, does the pump make a rattling sound like it is cavitating? If not, I bet you are ok. Just my 2cents :)

No difference in the sound of the pump when the plug with the small hole is installed, the plug with no hole is installed, or no plug at all is installed. And yes, the two hoses from the pool to the pump are smaller that the return hose to the pool. When the plug with the small hole is installed, very little water gets in the hose. While the hose from the skimmer is full of water. When the plug with no hole is installed, the hose stays about half full as well. The only problem I can see is there is no water flow in the hose once the plug is in place. Algae danger? Maybe I should block off completely and remove the hose I've plugged at the liner and increase the size of the remaining to the same size as the return to the pool line? Any thoughts?

I never thought of having water sitting in that hose could cause an algae problem. Good point. I'm really giving it some thought about putting a thru wall skimmer. The only thing that is causing me to hesitate is the fact that you loose a few inches of water in over all height.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is a good point about water just sitting in the line and algae. I think they did put a small hole in the pug to allow for some water flow to either prevent pump starvation or to avoid a stagnant area. I would enlarge one of the inlets to equal the outlet and cap the other one off, full well realizing that I would be negating the safety of two inlets, and the entrapment danger. Since I do not have children in my pool I was not worried about the entrapment issue. When I added my through the wall skimmer I was back to two inlets again, and that resolved the safety concern.

The instruction/parts book that came with the pump and filter mentions the Greame Baker Law as the reason why Intex pools have two lines from the pool to the pump, if I remember correctly. Supervision of children is the key. Two lines really isn't a problem anyway. Better to take the extra precaution and be safe..

Index has the plug to comply with basic safety, common sense and the law. When you add the skimmer the pool no longer has two balanced returns and poses an entrapment danger. Small danger big risk. It is a danger to ALL bathers not just children.

So, gwegan, I take it from your response that it would be wise of me to use the plug with the hole in it that came with the skimmer rather than replace that plug with the plug with no hole I use when I vacuum for safeties sake?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.