new resident with a pool, don't have any idea how to operate

So you have a diverter plate in the skimmer. You man drain pulls through the skimmer the teardrop shaped cover on the bottom of the diverter determines how much flow comes from the main drain and how much from the skimmer the way you have it in the picture you are getting as much flow from the skimmer as you can with the plate in place, I would leave it just like in the picture, you want a lot of flow from the skimmer. In my opinion flow from the main drain is less important than skimming others may disagree. If you were to close the teardrop completely than all the flow would come from the main drain assuming of course you have the lower valve set to either pool or both pool and spa.

I have to agree with atttech BUT do feel there should be some flow through the main drain or the water in the main drain pipe could start to grow bad stuff. Ask me how I know :( I forgot to open the valve to my main drain. It took me a while to figure out why my water was losing it's sparkle. I opened it and did a SLAM with the main drain valve open and all is good again! Now I make sure it is open at least a little bit.

I do have to say my main drain is almost useless but it is there so...........water needs to move through it.

Kim

Avenger,
If I were you, I would set both janday valves in teh center position. That way, you get good circulation to both the pool and spa.

If you dont have one already, you need to get yourself either a TF100 or a Taylor K2006C test kit. They are the only two kits that will test A-Z and do it accurately.
either are available at TFTestkits.net online.

while you're waiting for your test kit to arrive, vacuum your pool and get all of the debris out of it.

Next after your test kit arrives balance your water. Here are the recommended levels
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

and a link to pool math.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

I dont know if you can repair the plaster or not. There might be some patch products out there, but Im not familiar with them.
In any case though, to patch it, you would have to drain the pool.

So, I suppose if you want to go forward with some plaster repair, then do that first before you balance the water.....

All,

I probably will not have an opportunity to do the plaster repair work at this time. What I'll do is as suggested

- leave both valves at center position.
- I've leave it open 70% with the skimmer and 30% with the main drain <- not sure the exact measurement but I'll tinker around.
- I've ordered the test kit already, but waiting for it to arrive.

This is a stupid question, I actually have a vacuum from the previous owner, which of the two holes to I attached the tube to in the skimmer?

You can use a skimmer plate like this:

Hydrotools Olympic Replacement Skimmer Vac Adapter | 8929 : VMInnovations.com

I will tell you that I have not had much luck using them. I always have trouble keeping the vacuum going. The water has to be well over the top of it or it sucks air.

I just stick the end of the hose into the hole in the skimmer basket. NOT idea as I have to remove the skimmer basket but I do have the basket on the pump to catch the stuff.

Kim

The port at the back the one farthest away from the brick should be the suction line to the pump assuming the skimmer was plumbed in the usual way. Best to submerge the hose in the pool to fill it with water prior to connecting it or you can have a hard time getting it primed. My skimmer sockets are threaded inside if yours is like that and you want to try a vac plate like Kim suggested you can buy a cheep threaded plug to close off the main drain side while vacuuming that will help the vac plate from breaking suction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.