Mottling

Oct 19, 2015
Burleson, Texas
Does this look like normal mottling?
cdbce58627f822bd53d66f7592d1eed7.jpg
5f9aae5640ee7f5eb29df914c0f5bb28.jpg
8f6b26b1ef4da94198fdc2dfa2c67742.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coloration looks similar to ours. Out mottling is throughout. Some areas are random. Some are in the shape of troweling patterns. All super smooth.

I'm no expert, but mottling is typically more widespread vs. in small isoltated areas. Not that mottling can't occur in smaller patches...its just that it would be less likely that it would occur in a relatively small proportion of the total surface area.

Some might weigh in with an opinion that this appears to be more related to poor application/troweling technique on your steps, excess calcium chloride in the mixture, over use of water during finish troweling, or curing issue. But I suspect your PB will attribute this to mottling, which is a standard disclaimer in pool finishing contracts.

With this appearing on the steps, it would not require much to drain the pool to expose just the steps, so maybe your PB can acid wash the area again to eliminate or dimish those areas. Others here might have a different take.

Can understand your concern about the look though. Definitely reach out to your PB about these spots.

You can see normal mottling (slight shading differences) of dark colored plaster in the areas away from the distinct white discoloration that has occurred.

The "white areas" are either scaling or bad wet troweling in those particular areas. You should ask the PB to fix it for you. Polishing might remedy the situation.

I've texted them to the PB. He stated give the plaster 30 days to cure and he would take another look at it. They're already working on the deep end where they put chemicals in before the water was filled and bleached the plaster.
9e13cdc83316098f4471dfa35bb62260.jpg

It looks even worse than that now.

I still don't get how or why the PB did a careless dump and run start up, which I have to believe is not a situation remotely experienced by anyone of this forum. I may be wrong but if the plaster color has been bleached out by the PB's inexplicable chemical dumping, it's probably more than what an acid wash will be able to address. Acid baths do darken finished plaster somewhat, which perhaps it the PB's plan, ie, wait for the plaster to cure longer, drain and do an acid bath treatment in that one area. As for any planned attempt to "color" the plaster to make it blend, that is indeed a long shot ... I had that done on an older pool to a small area - worked ok for about 3 years but than the color completely faded/washed out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Who would I contact if I feel the plaster was done incorrectly if the PB states it's normal?

Did you already make your last payment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

onBalance would likely have a better answer for you but there is a "Pool Inspection" form on the National Plasterers Council website HERE. They may or may not be helpful...not sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.