Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black dots and white areas - I am lost as what is happening

1. Back To Top    #1

Black dots and white areas - I am lost as what is happening

Not sure what has happened. Just bought the house 2 months ago with a pool. It did not have the white areas or black dots before. At least none that I noticed. Water was not as clear as it is now. Seems like the more I do to care for the pool, the worse it is. The black dots will not scrape or brush off, nor will the white areas. Its like its part of the plaster. Black dots, which are really small seem to be getting worse. See pictures attached. Water is crystal clear and here are the lates test done with the K2006 kit. Water temp is 62 today.

FC - 3.8
    CC - 0.0
    Ph - 7.6
    TA - 75
    CYA - 55
    CH - 290
    Salt - 3300
    Attached Images Attached Images
    14000 gallon SWG gunite/quartz plaster,450 swimclear cartridge filters, 2hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Black dots and white areas - I am lost as what is happening

Your test results look good.

I cannnot see any black dots.

The white areas look like where chemistry has been added and allowed to settle to the bottom but that is only a guess.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The second picture shows black dots around the white area. It looks like someone has taken a black marker and made dots all over the pool. They will not scrape off at all. There not slimey or rough to the touch. I now started to get come brown staining in some areas. Any thoughts please. Water is clear. Plaster is 5 years old. Could it be time to replaster already? And how much does that cost. 16x32 peanut shaped pool. 3.5ft shallow end 6 ft deep end.

FC - 3.8
    CC - 0.0
    Ph - 7.4
    TA - 75
    CYA - 55
    CH - 290
    Salt - 3300
    14000 gallon SWG gunite/quartz plaster,450 swimclear cartridge filters, 2hp pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you ruled out anything organic with the OCLT?

If your CYA is 55 (I would round up to 60 for safe measure), your minimum FC should be 5 instead of 3.8 and your target should be 7.

Perhaps you could bring the chlorine up to shock level, brush the walls and floor well, then perform the overnight loss test just to be sure.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump