3/4 Dual Speed Pump vs Intelliflo VS Pump

Aug 28, 2013
Marin County
I have a 14,000 gallon 19x32 Rectangle shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Pool with a Sta-Rite MAX-GLAS II 1.5 HP. I only run it 3.5 hours because my California PG&E hourly price per kWh can range from $0.19 – $0.33 depending on my usage which is on a tiered system, meaning that the more electricity I use, I move up to the next tier, therefore pay more per KW. My question is should I pay more for a Pentair VS pump at $900 or get a 3/4 2 speed pump. I want to run my pump 6-7 hours and not and still save $$.

I would suggest a variable speed pump. Here are some choices that qualify for a $100 rebate (Check with provider for full details)
Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo VS (No clock)
Hayward SP2302VSP; Max-Flo VS (Has clock)
Hayward SP2302VSPND Max-Flo VS (Works with Hayward automation)
Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS
Sta-Rite 343001 SuperMax VS
Zodiac VSFHP165JEP VS
Variable-Speed Pool Pump and Motors Rebates Database | PG&E

If you have 230 volt supply, and want a two speed pump, I would suggest the Pentair SuperFlo Product number 340042, Model number = SF-N2-1A. Volts = 230. Amps 6.0/2.3. H.P = 1.0. S.F = 1.25 THP=1.25. 1HP Full-Rated Dual Speed Energy Efficient 230V Pool Pump

What is your power supply voltage?

Do you have automation?

Note: The Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS is the exact same pump as the Sta-Rite 343001 SuperMax VS except that the SuperFlo is almond colored and the SuperMax is black.

With 6 hours of total run time per day split 5 hours on low(er) speeds and 1 hour on high(er) speeds, here is a comparison of energy use and cost to run:

MaxFlo XL 1 HP 2 speed: 73 kwh/month
MaxFlo VS: 38 kwh/month

The VS uses about half the energy of the two speed but costs $100-$200 more. So at $0.33/kwh, it takes about 12 months before the VS overtakes the 2S in terms of cost savings. So as long as you are going to own the house/pool for more than a year, it probably makes sense to go with a VS. But make sure you install surge protection to protect your investment.

I haven't switched out my 1hp Max E Glas 2 pump for a new VS yet, but was ready to get the Pentair Intelliflo 10118, but then I just saw the Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump which is a few $$ less. I am going to install Pool Solar heating panels, and want to know what pump will be more economical for me. I will also be running a Pentair legend cleaner that is currently running on a Booster pump. The suction Pipe to Pool Pump is 2" and the return line from the Filter to the Pool 1.5".

I haven't switched out my 1hp Max E Glas 2 pump for a new VS yet, but was ready to get the Pentair Intelliflo 10118, but then I just saw the Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump which is a few $$ less. The suction Pipe to Pool Pump is 2" and the return line from the Filter to the Pool 1.5".
So did you get the 342001 Pentair pump and, if so, how is it working out? I'm about the take the same plunge. I'm just hoping the 342001 at max RPM will give the same output as the old pump (Hayward Super II 1.5HP) when running the jacuzzi. I wish the 342001 had a 2" suction port, but it is a 1.5" so that is about the only negative about this pump that I'm aware of. Thx.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.