Wall Mounting Question for Hayward Ecostar

mooveebuff

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 4, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Hi All,

I have a Hayward Ecostar variable speed pump. I would like to remove the control panel from the unit and mount it on the patio so I'll have easier access. I know how to do it, but I have a question about the type of cable I need. The manual wasn't really much help, but I did find a video online where someone was explaining it.

He said you need a 6-wire cat5 shielded outdoor cable to do it.

I've been running search after search, and I really don't know what I'm looking at. My searches are bringing up ethernet cables, which would make sense, but I have no way to know how many wires are within the cable because they all have the connectors attached at the ends.

Has anyone on here done the wall mount thing with an Ecostar? If so, I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the reply! The thing is, I'm not sure if cat5 cable is what I actually need. None of my searches bring up anything like what the video or the manual shows.

The manual states, "You will need to procure a six wire data cable, as short as possible, and attach the wires to the data plug as shown (fig 17) taking care to note the color and corresponding number next to the data plug (fig 15)."

Below is a photo from the manual. Any ideas? I imagine it would have to be rated for outdoor use also....

ecostar wire photo.jpg

The connection to the control panel is an RS485 or RS232, not ethernet so you don't have to use CAT5 or CAT6 but either will work. By definition they both have 8 conductors and are usually 24 or 22GA just cut the ends off and you are good to go. Any 6 conductor copper wire 24GA or thicker will work if you are going a long distance you may want to consider 22GA or thicker. I used 18GA sprinkler wire from my Z4 to my Iaqualink because I was burying it and going 30ft worked great. If you are going over 50ft you may have problems just test it before you do a ton of work hiding the wire.

Thanks everybody for the replies. I had continued researching and took a chance on some 18 AWG/ 6 conductor irrigation wire, because I'm going to bury it too, going about 20-25 feet. I feel better about it knowing that it worked for you. It should be coming some time next week and I'll give it a shot. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.