Backside of Waterfall

Jul 10, 2014
Baton Rouge, LA
For those that have a waterfall (or grotto) + slide, I'm curious to know how the back side of that structure was constructed. Obviously, continuing stone (creek rock, moss rock, etc.) would look the best, but I'm also interested in any cost saving options (perhaps stucco?) for this large surface that is rarely seen by anyone.

Can you please post pics and any info about how yours is constructed and any pros/cons you've learned in hind sight?

These are a close example of what my waterfall + slide are will look like:

And these are my rough plans:

But the plants would also act as a screen from the neighbors and give it a tropical look. If you planted a lot, then you wouldn't even have to mow! What's the dimension from the back of the slide to the fence?

But the plants would also act as a screen from the neighbors and give it a tropical look. If you planted a lot, then you wouldn't even have to mow! What's the dimension from the back of the slide to the fence?

I plan to replace our 3' picket fence with a 6' privacy fence. I also plan to plant 3 six-foot (or taller) Sylvester palm trees (shown below). The dimension from the back of the slide to the fence is about 11 feet.

Oh okay, palms will be great! I guess I would ask if you want people to walk behind that area. If you do, then something that would blend in with your decking or just use the same decking would work. Otherwise, I would probably just put low maintenance plants (I like plants in case you couldn't tell! LOL!) and some stepping stones through that area.

Another thought - If I were a kid, that's the place where I'd hang out so my parents wouldn't be able to see me.

Oh okay, palms will be great! I guess I would ask if you want people to walk behind that area. If you do, then something that would blend in with your decking or just use the same decking would work. Otherwise, I would probably just put low maintenance plants (I like plants in case you couldn't tell! LOL!) and some stepping stones through that area.

Another thought - If I were a kid, that's the place where I'd hang out so my parents wouldn't be able to see me.

No, not really expecting many people back there. Just me and the kids to throw/kick a ball, but not really any guests. Good point about the hide out place. May need to route one of my surveillance cameras back to the corner post when they get older.

I don't mind planting plants (and the maintenance that comes with them) as long as I (and others) can appreciate them. So planting plants behind that large wall does not really sound like the best use of my pruning time.:) That's why I'm leaning towards doing the stamped concrete wall right now.

My brother in law had little storage area added under his waterfall/slide. It is big enough to hide floats and chemicals.

While that does sound tempting to do, especially for short people such as myself (and it has crossed my mind), I'm not sure if the budget would allow it. It also seems like an even more attractive hiding spot for kids, snakes, etc. Do you have any photos of your brother-in-law's?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.