Main Drains Working?

Oct 19, 2015
Burleson, Texas
How do I tell if my main drains are working? There is a lot of sediment in the bottom from where I've brushed the plaster and from the rock being sealed. It seems that it has accumulated at the main drains. I would think that it would be wicked in and filtered. Am I wrong on how this works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I often turn all pool suction to the main drain and brush the dirt to the drains. But you have to brush it to the drain several times from all directions to get it all sucked in. The suction is very low at the drains. If you have a valve at the pad to switch suction from skimmers to drain make sure it is 100% on drain.

The brush the PB gave me was a standard no frills brush, I used it for a few days but was having a hard time getting the walls. I did some searching and came across a brush called the wall wale, probably the best $30 I have spent in a long time. The fin on the brush pushes the head against the surface and also creates a fairly strong wake that kicks up dirt and leaves making it easier to get it into the drain. There is one other brand I saw called the king-fin that has a fin that runs over the top of the brush head I would bet it preforms well too.

Be careful pushing larger debris to the main drain. Leaves can clog the drain to the point that it is difficult to clear without removing the covers. A leaf rake is a better choice in picking up the larger debris.

A2230_x.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.