Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Main Drains Working?

1. Back To Top    #1

Main Drains Working?

How do I tell if my main drains are working? There is a lot of sediment in the bottom from where I've brushed the plaster and from the rock being sealed. It seems that it has accumulated at the main drains. I would think that it would be wicked in and filtered. Am I wrong on how this works?

21,000 gallons, Salt, IG Gunite, Plaster Finish, Free From, Pentair FNS DE cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo-VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40, 2 port fountains, bubbler in tanning deck, Dolphin M400, TF-100, K-1766, Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Main Drains Working?

They don't have very much suction for safety reasons. The won't do much to pull in dirt that is heavy enough to sink.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

That stinks. Guess it will sit until it's ok to run the robot on the plaster.

21,000 gallons, Salt, IG Gunite, Plaster Finish, Free From, Pentair FNS DE cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo-VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40, 2 port fountains, bubbler in tanning deck, Dolphin M400, TF-100, K-1766, Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

I often turn all pool suction to the main drain and brush the dirt to the drains. But you have to brush it to the drain several times from all directions to get it all sucked in. The suction is very low at the drains. If you have a valve at the pad to switch suction from skimmers to drain make sure it is 100% on drain.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. Did that this morning. Seems like learning all this from the site and trial and error is more educational than the pool school the builder is supposed to give me.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

The brush the PB gave me was a standard no frills brush, I used it for a few days but was having a hard time getting the walls. I did some searching and came across a brush called the wall wale, probably the best $30 I have spent in a long time. The fin on the brush pushes the head against the surface and also creates a fairly strong wake that kicks up dirt and leaves making it easier to get it into the drain. There is one other brand I saw called the king-fin that has a fin that runs over the top of the brush head I would bet it preforms well too.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

7. Back To Top    #7

Be careful pushing larger debris to the main drain. Leaves can clog the drain to the point that it is difficult to clear without removing the covers. A leaf rake is a better choice in picking up the larger debris.

Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater